What happened with my Belgian Strong Golden Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Fedwell

Reaction score
Aloha,
Brewed a Belgian Strong Golden ale in April. I used 100 % pils malt and clear candi syrup. I ramped up a long mash and got great attenuation. About two months ago, I tried the one bottle I had filled. It was great. Nice golden color, and very similar to the Duvel clone I had envisioned. I kegged the rest and primed it to simulate bottle conditions. Went to tap it and it is dark. Dark like a trippel. Not too dark, but not at all golden. Also very cloudy now. I ran off a pitcher or two to see if it was just yeast from the conditioning. Since it was kegged in May, it has sat in a dark area behind my bar. Hot summer though. Tastes and smells great, but what would make it more dark? Yeast issue? Temp issues?

Definitely confuses me, I can't think of anything that would make it darker. Is it clear? Or is it cloudy? Are you looking at a glass or a pitcher? (the more liquid, the less light can pass through, creating a sense of 'darkness' ever noticed how a carboy of beer looks WAY darker than the one that ends up in the glass?) If its cloudy, then it could just be the yeast, but it should have settled out by now, maybe you shook it up a bit too much recently and disturbed the yeast cake?

First poured a glass, and then poured a pitcher. Both were cloudy. Both were much darker than the beer originally was and darker than the one bottle I sampled. I did move it to the chill only two days before. But I also have my dip tubes cut on my kegs an inch or so. I will wait a few days before attempting another pour. Wish I had bottled the whole thing.

That sounds like it just needs a few more days to resettle the yeast cake. It should still be nice and clear after a few days. Yeast will cloud the beer making less light through, making it appear darker.

Aloha Pompeii. For what it's worth, I thought I would report further. There is still a lot of yeast coming through. I won't keg this style beer again, and if I do, it will be force carbed. Today tapped a bit and the first few ounces came out golden, then an onslaught of sludge, followed by the somewhat amber cloudy beer. Getting there, but gonna wind up wasting quite a bit. Final product should be amazing, and I have a stubbie of Duvel in the fridge for side by side when that time comes.

dang... well, maybe just a bit longer in primary before kegging also would have allowed more yeast to sediment out and not end up in the keg... i've got a tripel on keg now that I aged for almost 2 months in primary... 7 weeks I think... and it came out pretty nice.

Back