Apfelwein question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewPahl

Reaction score
Take into consideration that I am very new to this and this is only my second batch (first is in progress and seems to be doing well). I started a 3 gallon batch of Apfelwein with my 10 year old son and started it at 2pm and it is now 642pm and I have not seen a single bubble from my airlock. All ingredients were room temperature so I think that is why the yeast is not going crazy but it still makes me nervous. Especially since my HBS will most likely be closed the next two days and I won't be able to run and get more yeast. What do you think guys? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Since you were decently careful in sterilizing your fermentor (right :D ) its not really different than if you had the apple juice sitting in jugs on the shelf...

RDWHAHB

If its not bubbling in 24-36 hours don't sweat it. BTW - how tight is the airlock and cap - might some CO2 be escaping?

That's nothing to worry about. Just give it some more time and I'm sure it will be fine.

Keep in mind that the yeast in Apfelwein doesn't really go crazy. It just sits there and quietly ferments for a month or so. Relax and Welcome to HBT!

Keep in mind that the yeast in Apfelwein doesn't really go crazy. It just sits there and quietly ferments for a month or so. Relax and Welcome to HBT!

Didn't notice you are a new poster - welcome! As you can see - I'm a relative noob too - the community is great. My first batch of Apfelwein is tasting great!

Thanks guys.....I'm new to this and easily freaked out.....plus my son is excited about it to boot. I am seeing some small bubbles in the wort so some activity is taking place but not enough yet to move my air lock. I suspect by morning it will be a different story. I am using a 3 gal glass carboy, improvement on my mead (which is in a 2 gal plastic bucket), so we can watch the show!!! I have an orange silicone cap that has two openings, one capped, and a 3 piece air lock filled with vodka....all are tight. I apologize I am totally new to this and have wanted to brew for years.....discovered a HBS in our town so I have easy access. Any suggestions on future brews let me know for sure!!!

My experience - the orange caps aren't "that" tight so don't look for a ton of activity in the airlock. Again, welcome and merry christmas!

PS - my 2 year old loves brewing stuff!

The carboy caps are great and there isn't really a need to be airtight. Caps are to keep nasties from falling in and if a little CO2 escapes out from around the edge, no big deal.

The carboy caps are great and there isn't really a need to be airtight. Caps are to keep nasties from falling in and if a little CO2 escapes out from around the edge, no big deal.

+1

HOWEVER - sometimes they let enough CO2 leak that the airlock doesn't bubble - so newer brewer might think a low krausen yeast (Montecharat) wasn't working. If you want to see the airlock go - a stopper and airlock is best.

I just needed to give it more time, by 24 hours later I could see CO2 bubbles in the juice and a bit of krausen forming but no air lock movement, today when I got home from Avatar....(great movie) the air lock was belching away!! BTW I used Nottingham yeast.

I just needed to give it more time, by 24 hours later I could see CO2 bubbles in the juice and a bit of krausen forming but no air lock movement, today when I got home from Avatar....(great movie) the air lock was belching away!! BTW I used Nottingham yeast.

Glad to hear it! Be patient with this - it will clear when its ready, and gets better with age.

Most people would think 10 years old a little young to be starting but I am supportive of a great family tradition starting at a young age.

Drinking time depends. The unhappy news probably about 6 weeks for best results.

Best techniques

1-2 weeks in primary
2-3 weeks in secondary
1-3 weeks in bottle

I am assuming you are not kegging yet. Do you plan on carbonating it?
Once the fermentation has settled down, check the gravity with a hydrometer. If it has settled down (no change from one day to the next) you can put into secondary fermenter, if you got one. In reality it is done right then and there. You can pour yourself a glass and enjoy it then. Aging in secondary will allow it to clear up. Then if you want to carbonate it you need to add some sugar and put in a bottle. This is another time to take a gravity reading and pour yourself a glass, then age for one week in a warm environment. You can start drinking it then but it may continue to carbonate for another few weeks. After that you can start storing it in a cooler place and you and your son can start enjoying it then.:)

The other thing you can do is skip step two and go right to the bottle and be drinking it in a week or so. Then start on your next batch right away so you can take your time and do it right. Also I like to bottle or keg on the same day i brew another batch so i have all the supplies out and only have to clean up one mess.

I did not like mine until the 6 month time. Still prefer beer but this is nice to have around when my beer supply pipeline falls off.

Seriously, for your son you might want to check out the soda threads on here. Every so often I whip up a batch of root beer for the young'uns. They're fascinated by the idea that I can put some flavoring and a few little granules in a jug of water, pour it in some recycled soda bottles and set it on top of the fridge for a couple of days and it turns into fizzy root beer. Keeps them from asking too many questions about what's in those other bottles :)

Just to clarify.....using this as an education tool on how to follow directions, cleanliness, and science of yeast. My son will not be drinking this but giving it out for Christmas presents next year.

Just to clarify.....using this as an education tool on how to follow directions, cleanliness, and science of yeast. My son will not be drinking this but giving it out for Christmas presents next year.

I am sure the parents of your sons friends will be very appreciative.;)

BrewPahl, I think it's great you are involving your son in your hobby. More parents need to spend quality time with their kids, and this is a great way to do it. Thumbs up!

I am sure the parents of your sons friends will be very appreciative.;)

LOL not presents for his friends but presents for our family! Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Great-Grandparents, etc. We will not be breaking any laws any time soon! Well maybe one to mail a bottle UPS or FED EX to his grandparents in Wyoming!

I agree it is cool to get your son involved in your own hobby. I am just comparing the attitude to here in Utah. They laws here in Utah make restaurants put up a visual block to not allow people see drinks being made. Its dubbed the "Zion Curtain".

Where in Wyoming are the grandparents? If you send it overnight, chances are I will be delivering it.

Back