Brewing with Candi Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
My next batch is going to be a Belgian "Trappist" style trippel. It's going to have 1.5lb of candi sugar in it.

Has anyone ever used this stuff? How quickly do the chunks disslove? Any chances of scorching?

Sam75 said:
My next batch is going to be a Belgian "Trappist" style trippel. It's going to have 1.5lb of candi sugar in it.

Has anyone ever used this stuff? How quickly do the chunks disslove? Any chances of scorching?

I found this thread in here--and I'm pretty sure Janx did a recipe with it not too long ago. Hopefully he chimes in about your questions.

CANDI SUGAR

Sam75 said:
I have several times with both light and dark candis. They don't dissolve as fast as DME but still fairly quick and will scortch if you rush. The good thing is that you can hear them rolling around in the pot until they've dissolved.

Wild

wild said:
I have several times with both light and dark candis. They don't dissolve as fast as DME but still fairly quick and will scortch if you rush. The good thing is that you can hear them rolling around in the pot until they've dissolved.

Wild

I guess one good thing is that I can toss it in gradually over a 90 min boil. I suppose I could also put them in a muslin bag and toss them in.

Sam75 said:
I suppose I could also put them in a muslin bag and toss them in.
That could be an idea. I wonder if it'd hamper the length of time it'll take to dissolve. If you plan on making a lot of Belgians, I do have a couple of recipes for making candi sugar.

Wild

I just droped the candie sugar in the last 15 mins of the boil, Mine was a homemade candie sugar thou. Only thing to make sure you set up a blow off tube, my ferment went into over drive in about 16 hours. strong ferment I have had yet.

Cool, thanks for the ideas fellas. I don't know how many Belgians I might do. Depends on how this one goes! I'll definitely hit you up for the candi sugar recipe if I do another.

Hopefully I'll be brewing this one next weekend.

Since your going to use 1.5 lbs of it I would suggest dissolving it in a sauce
pan of water on the stove prior to brewing. Use about a quart of water .Then when you get ready to add it to your kettle you just pour it in as syriup and stir a little with no worry of scortching.

Sudster said:
Since your going to use 1.5 lbs of it I would suggest dissolving it in a sauce
pan of water on the stove prior to brewing. Use about a quart of water .Then when you get ready to add it to your kettle you just pour it in as syriup and stir a little with no worry of scortching.

Yeah, well maybe that's what a SMART person would do. I'm still gonna use a bag.

Just kidding.....that'll probably work really well. :D

Back