When to test SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatFishGuy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My first batch is fermenting away, but I was wondering how often or when I should test my SG. I know to test to see if its ready to bottle/keg but is there any reason to test in between? I just dont remember, so I was wondering what you all do.
Thanks,
Sam
:confused:

Just forget about it for 2 weeks and then take a reading. There's really no reason to bother the yeast before that point, they know what they're doing. The only reason to take readings before that point is if you just can't keep your hands off it. ;)

ok, i figured there wasnt any use in testing until its done, but the kit directions came with a worksheet to take down any info from the process. included were a few spaces for SG tests, so I just making sure.

Checking before fermenting:

If you want to measure the OG (gravity before pitching the yeast) take a sample of the wort in the fermenter before you pitch your yeast (or from the kettle if you're doing full sized batches in a large kettle and not diluting later) and let it cool to 60°F in your graduated cylinder and insert your hydrometre.

Remember to well clean and sterilise ANYTHING that comes in contact with your wort in the fermenter (wine thief, laddle etc)...

After you take the reading and THROW OUT THE SAMPLE (or drink it and take notes on the flavour to compare against tasting notes later).. do NOT add it back to your fermenter or kettle..

I sterilise my laddle and take a sample from the kettle 5 minutes before I start the wort chiller (to avoid contamination issues) and let it cool by putting the wort sample in a graduated cylinder and placing the cylinder in a cold water bath until it reaches 60°F.

Only insert the hydrometre into cooled liquids...

Checking after fermenting is done (before bottling):

Before bottling and adding the corn sugar, take a sample (with sterilised equipment) the same as above..

Side note: if you're looking for detailed info to learn when and how to do things like this, any good beginners book will explain how.

Cheers,
Awfers

I just checked a batch I brewed on Friday. SG is down to 1.01 already from 1.046. Sometimes the yeast is just enthusiastic :)

Awfers- thanks. I know how to do the process itself ( i did pick up a book :) ), I just wanted to see if intermediate tests were necessary, but it seems only OG and FG are taken? I did get my OG of 1.050 ( think it was a little high because i had just mixed in the rest of the water into the wort and might not have been thoroughly mixed.) So i guess I still have about a week before testing. Thanks guys!
-Sam

Ok well I was all too bored today and couldnt help but take a sample... What are ya gonna do? haha. anyways, seems to be fermenting fast; only on day 4 and the SG is down to 1.019 and i think the final is 1.014-1010. Does it always go down that quickly?
I also decided to take a sip. That test jar was begging me i swear. I was worried that it would taste kind of sour or nasty in some way but not at all. it actually tasted a whole lot like beer....go figure ;) . It was wonderfully hoppy, but i couldnt taste a whole lot else at this point. I didnt take a very big sip though, so maybe I just missed it. Man am I excited though, I think its going to turn out great! least for a first batch.

Sounds like you had fun :)

What type of beer did you brew for your first batch?

Ahh.. hops :D

Living where I do, finding a "hoppy" beer is next to impossible....

Wish you the best of luck! And hope you enjoy this "sport" :drunk:

Cheers,
Awfers

Latest posts

Back