How to get 2" ferrule into keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bachhus

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for advise on making a 2" hole in the side of my keggle for a 2" Triclover ferrule. I'm using this to mount my element via triclover. Do you suggest getting a 2" greenlee knock out punch, Ideal 2" hole cutter or other practicle suggestion? How did you do yours?

Thanks
Mark

I used an inch and seven-eights (1 7/8) bi-metal hole saw and then carefully made the hole larger a little at a time with my dremel tool checking for fit each time. I wanted the ferrule to fit tight into (not on top of) the side of the kettle. I then had a guy Tig weld the Ferrule and grind the inside smooth after. It turned out very nice. I'm sure there are many other methods out there, but this one worked for me. Good Luck. Just drill slow speed and steady with some cutting oil. It does go easier than you might think.

Thanks for the tips and info guys! I'm heading to a buddies place today to do the work on them.

Mark

Actually soapy water spraying the cutter teeth constantly would be better than oil. When cutting stainless you want to keep The cutter and material cool. Oil does not do that. And as stated go slow

Well you guys were not kidding. A decent Bimetal hole saw cut through these things easy peasy with a dab of cutting oil. Just for future reference, a 2" hole saw will cut a hole just the right size to WELD in a 2" triclover fitting. You would need a smaller one if you were doing the solder in style method of dimpling the hole.

Unfortunetly no pictures but I will do a full build thread once I start putting everything together.

Thanks for the tips
Mark

Back