Brew in a bag.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster101

Reaction score
Recently switched to all grain with the biab method. Discovered my nylon bag was not big enough for my 10 gallon pot. Anyone have an idea where I can get a bag? The hardware store only had 5 gallon size.

If you can sew, or know someone that can do it for you, you can use voile fabric to make a bag as big as you need. I picked up voile curtains from Kohls for $11 which was enough fabric for me to make 3 bags.

I have an 11 gallon pot, and the 5 gallon paint strainer bags at the hardware store are plenty big enough to brew a BIAB batch up to about 13lbs of grains. They are really the most common bag used for peeps with 10 gallon pots. The bag sits about 3" above the bottom of the pot and 6.8-7.2 gallons of pre-boil volume for a 5-5.5 gallon batch covers the grain bed by plenty.

You don't need a 10 gallon bag to fit a 10 gallon pot. The 5 gallon should work just fine unless your pot is unusually wide in diameter.

Back