New Austin Homebrew Supply White Labs yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogbar

Reaction score
Forrest, anything more you can tell us about these yeasts? I'm most curious about the WLP560, but others will care more about the rest, I'm sure.

The description for the WLP560 says it's a blend. Given the temperamental nature of some Saison yeasts, it would be helpful to know what all is in there :)

Thanks, Forrest.

dogbar, did you ever use the WLP560? I have a 1L starter of it on the stirplate right now. If you did use it, how did it work out?

Try PMing Forrest, he's usually pretty good about answering questions. White Labs may have some useful info on their site as well.

I looked on white labs, but I can't find it on there. Although, It is on Austin's site and gives a temp range, but I was hoping somebody might have a first hand account as to their results with it.

I looked on white labs, but I can't find it on there. Although, It is on Austin's site and gives a temp range, but I was hoping somebody might have a first hand account as to their results with it.

yeah, I can't find more than that either. I thought the internet was s'posed to be useful! :ban:

Did you try sending Forrest a PM, see if he's used it or heard any feedback about it? I know that's not much help, but if the internet can't help, I'm lost! :ban: :ban:

FWIW, I had no luck trying to get info on Midwest's special Wyeast strain (Headwaters Ale) or even AHS's (Green Flash? are they the same?), other than what guys at Midwest said and what brewers who used it say.... which wasn't much. Maybe yeast secrecy is the new marketing technique?! :ban: :ban: :ban:

I just put in an order for this last night, so I'll be curious as well. From what I was reading, I assumed it was a blend of the 565 (spicy, low attenuator) and 566 (fruity, higher attenuator), but I could be wrong and there could be something else in there. Also not sure how growing it up in a starter is going to effect the blend, but I'll still give it a shot! I actually picked up their English ale blend as well for an English IPA, figured why not try something new and see how I like it!

My starter of 560 has been on the stirplate for 18 hours now, and this is the first 1L starter I EVER made that didn't need fermcap-s. I was worried that maybe it wasn't doing anything at first. Especially since the package from Austin that arrived yesterday was about 90-100*F. I even ordered the cold pack, but it was also thawed and very hot. I was worried the yeast was dead. After watching this starter for the last 18 hours I can tell it's propagating, because the starter is changing color. It's getting that creamy, white look that I'm used too. It just never got very active. It only has a very small, frothy layer of krausen on it. I'm excited to see how it's going to work out. I plan on fermenting at about 70-75F with it....

I just brewed a pale ale (based on Uinta Wyld) with half the batch split on this & it plays deliciously with all the Amarillo, Simcoe, & Citra. Wow. Love this thing and it's only been in the bottle 3 days. I drank 2 full glasses from the bottling bucket.

Got a little Belgiany pepper too. Definitely a drying effect. Putting it on a 45IBU APA recipe with 5oz of late hops & 4 of dry hop obviously isn't the cleanest look at it, but I'd love to use it again.

Follow up to my 560 experience: It threw off a lot of pepper and spice being run at ambient of 70-75. Got spicier as beer sat in bottle. If you're looking for dry & spice, you won't be let down by 560.

I just bottled mine last Friday. The sample out of the bottle bucket was very good and echos what you're saying. The spice/pepper flavor seems to pair very well with the rye I used. I'm looking forward to it!

Back