Need advice on a AG Punkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligans

Reaction score
Ok .. I ordered a AG Punkin ale kit from austin home brew... Anyone ever brew this one before? After I completed the brewing process , How long should I primary? How long to age in Keg ? any suggestions?:ban:

I brewed the same kit last year, and it definitely the best extract kit I ever did. This year, I'm doing an all-grain version of an imperial pumpkin that I'm going to bottle next weekend then serve in October.

Anyway, for last year's pumpkin, I added two 29 oz cans of Libby's Spiced Pumpkin to the steeping grains as well as the AHB spice kit in the boil. Their instructions say not to use spiced pumpkin, since they are already including a spice pack, but I was very happy with the end result.

I had mine in primary for 4 weeks, kegged and force carbed, and it was ready to serve about 2 weeks after that.

ok.. sounds good.. My house is at 70 degrees... so It will ferment around 71 , 72 degrees for about for a month. .. I will take your advice and try the spiced pumpkin. So this one is better staying in the primary?

IMO do not use the prespiced cans. They include preservatives which can hinder/prevent fermentation. This is why you add spices and use organic/natural pumpkin. It would suck to go through the process and work to end up with horrible results because of it.

I used 2 15oz cans for a 2.5 gallon batch. Are you going to boil or mash them? I just put them in the boil and did not mash.

I used 2 15oz cans for a 2.5 gallon batch. Are you going to boil or mash them? I just put them in the boil and did not mash.

I think it would be easier to boil them since I am doing a AG batch. Will it make a difference in taste.

Well with AG you can just add it to the mash. If you roast it and mash it you can convet some sugars from the pumpkin. If you boil it youll only get flavor. You sould really search around, this has been covered a lot and by people with more experience then me. I did not mash it and just boiled it.

I always use the pumpkin in the mash, roasted of course. Then use the spice pack in the boil. One year, I didnt have the pumpkins to put in the mash, so it was only the spices in the boil, and nobody knew the difference except me. Something to think about.

I just brewed the AHB Pumpkin Ale Partial Mash last weekend. I simply bought a baking pie from the grocery store, cut into 3"-4" chunks, roasted in the oven at 350 fer an hour, removed the skin and baked for another 30 min to further caramelize. I placed it in it's own mesh bag beside my grains during the mash - took it out with the grains.

I would personally get 2 or 3 pie pumpkins (the small ones, don't brew with Jack-o-lantern pumpkins) Clean them, cut into pieces, put them on a baking sheet skin down, flesh up and roast @ 350 for 60 minutes. Remove flesh from peel, mash it up with your hands into a thick "goop" and then add to your mash. Its easy and you have the gratification of knowing you didn't add anything processed into your brew.

pumpkin.jpg

Back