Acessible Corn-Sugar/DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
I am planning on making a starter in the next day or two but do not have any extra DME or corn-sugar on hand and no LHBS. Is there a product that I would be able to find in a super-market, health-food store, vitamin shop that I can find to use in stead of DME or corn-sugar? I'd hate to have to wait a week to get that stuff from MN. :(

I have not tried this but it seems it may be an alternative in your case. Malto Goya....... it seems it may be found in ethnic food stores. Read about it here

So, do you have everything to brew? Can you use some DME from that?

What kind of beer are you making? What kind of yeast are you using?

It might not be such a big deal to skip the starter. Others may disagree, but I have made many beers that have fermented fully in less than 3 days without starters.

Beerrific said:
So, do you have everything to brew? Can you use some DME from that?

What kind of beer are you making? What kind of yeast are you using?

It might not be such a big deal to skip the starter. Others may disagree, but I have made many beers that have fermented fully in less than 3 days without starters.

I am making a honey wheat, recipe is as follows:

4lb can Wheat Malt
2lb Wheat DME
1oz Cascade Pellets
1lb Honey
Yeast

I got it at a not-so-local-HBS this past weekend, the yeast is in a non-descript white packet that only says (Dried Brewing Yeast 003-504801) on it.

I'm also interested just incase I have an emergency situation where I need a last minute substitute.

Super Duper Edit

I just read this thread about Malta
http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/991949

It seems pretty awesome, living in Harlem I think I have about 10 stores in a 3 block radius that sells that stuff. I'll go pick some up tomorrow and let you guys know how my starter turns out.

Ah, problem solved, you do not need to make starters for dried yeast. Just re-hydrate.

You can read all about it here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-3.html

Also, next time you make an order online or stop by the not-so-local-LHBS buy a couple pounds of DME (light) for starters and priming, no worries it keeps well.

What he said- no starters for dried yeast! I now keep some DME on hand, and a few packages of dried yeast in my fridge just in case I ever need it. Only once did I need that extra yeast when a ferment didn't start and I pitched some new yeast. Still, it's nice to have those things on hand!

Back