I Got the Tallgrass Ale Recipe From the Brewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
Ok...I emailed Tallgrass Brewery to get their Tallgrass Ale recipe and they gave it to me. Now my problem is that I need someone to help me come up with an extract recipe...Any help would be great. Here is what he gave me:

Thanks for drinking Tallgrass! I am glad you enjoy our beers. I think session beers, just good beers that you can enjoy with friends all evening, are few and far between. With Tallgrass Ale we use the 1098 Wyeast strain to let the malt shine through, with Perle for smooth, but not much bittering. Fuggles and Willamette for finish hops right at the end of the boil for surprising complexity. You would use about 2/3 lbs Crystal 80 and Vienna and 1/3 lbs Victory and Chocolate for a 5 gallon batch. Enjoy!

that leaves out the base malts. they're just giving you the specialty grains, which is probably no more than 15-20% of the recipe, at most

what are the base malts here? It seems that he gave you the hops, yeast, and specialty grains, but what about your fermentables?

Just figure the base malt to the OG for the beer. Your not going to get a lot of fermentables from those grains. Marris Otter for the malt seems to be a good choice for this beer.

Just figure the base malt to the OG for the beer. Your not going to get a lot of fermentables from those grains. Marris Otter for the malt seems to be a good choice for this beer.

Well, with that said, can someone help me put together a recipe? I am dumb when it comes to putting recipes together. :drunk:

Here is what I came up with in Beer Smith. I did not add the vienna or victory in your steeping grains because they require a mash to convert. I also used pale LME because the amber just adds crystal malt most of the time and you are already steeping it. It's been a long time since I've done an extract recipe so others please feel free to add anything.

Tallgrass Ale Clone
Mild

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.40 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 85.84 %
0.66 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 9.44 %
0.33 lb Chocolate Malt, Pale (200.0 SRM) Grain 4.72 %
0.70 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.75 oz Williamette [4.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.29 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBU Calories: 194 cal/pint
Est Color: 16.5 SRM Color: Color

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.2
Pressure/Weight: 3.6 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 68.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 70.0 F

A partial mash isn't difficult. At 70% efficiency, you'll get around 1.046 OG from this:

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 1lb 0oz 13.3 % 0.3 In Mash/Steeped
US Vienna Malt 11.00 oz 9.2 % 0.5 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 80L Malt 11.00 oz 9.2 % 10.4 In Mash/Steeped
US Chocolate Malt 5.00 oz 4.2 % 20.7 In Mash/Steeped
US Victory Malt 5.00 oz 4.2 % 1.7 In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Light Liquid Malt Extract 4lb 8oz 60.0 % 2.9 Start Of Boil

Perhaps you could e-mail back and get the extract recipe from them. I believe the guy that owns Tallgrass was a home brewer too at one time and they would perhaps be understanding.

Get the hop schedule for Oasis while you are at it.

Good luck with this. The Tallgrass guys are very nice. I just dont care for their beer.
Give me BLVD anyday!

A partial mash isn't difficult. At 70% efficiency, you'll get around 1.046 OG from this:

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 1lb 0oz 13.3 % 0.3 In Mash/Steeped
US Vienna Malt 11.00 oz 9.2 % 0.5 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 80L Malt 11.00 oz 9.2 % 10.4 In Mash/Steeped
US Chocolate Malt 5.00 oz 4.2 % 20.7 In Mash/Steeped
US Victory Malt 5.00 oz 4.2 % 1.7 In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Light Liquid Malt Extract 4lb 8oz 60.0 % 2.9 Start Of Boil

I've done a great deal of extract brewing, but partial mash would be new for me. Can you tell me what to do with the above ingredients?

what are the base malts here? It seems that he gave you the hops, yeast, and specialty grains, but what about your fermentables?

I went to a Brew Club and heard the owner talk. I believe he said he used 2 row (not sure if rahr or briess) but overall it won't matter much since the maltiness will shine (its basically a brown ale). You could use MO and would be good also.

Good luck with this. The Tallgrass guys are very nice. I just dont care for their beer.
Give me BLVD anyday!

I have to agree with this. On a recent trip to Manhattan I tried their beer, and wasn't overly impressed. As far as BLVD, my opinion is their smokestack beers are pretty darn great. I quit buying their regular stuff, just because they are screwtops.

Yummy!
My brother brought over a couple cans of tallgrass ale yesterday. Very tasty! I think this will be my next brew. Thanks for posting a recipe. Can't wait!

Thanks
Redbeard5289

Back