Kegging System Vs. Do It Myself - Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, a little background information, I'm not a do-it-myself type of guy (except when it comes to beer), but I've been reading for the past 2 hours on how to setup a kegging system and I'm wondering if it sounds easier than it actually is. After looking into buying a dual kegging system, the cheapest I could find for a 2 keg system is $205 for 2 Corny kegs and a 5lb Co2 tank. How much money could I actually save buying everything separate and doing it myself and is this something I could realistically do after reading a few how-to articles on the internet? If you were like me when you first started kegging and chose to buy everything separate and assemble it yourself I'm interested to hear how it worked out for you. Also, if anyone has a link to a simple, step by step article on how to do this I'd appreciate it.

$205 is really cheap for a 2 keg system. I don't know if you could beat that price doing it yourself. The double regulator alone is gonna be over $100. Then you need fittings (shank, cutoffs, tap, etc) Thats another $75-$100. Not to mention the gas and beer lines, and 2 corny kegs. I think $205 is a great price. Plus, you don't have to make that 3 trips back and forth to the hardware store to get everything you need/forgot.

$205 is really cheap for a 2 keg system. I don't know if you could beat that price doing it yourself. The double regulator alone is gonna be over $100. Then you need fittings (shank, cutoffs, tap, etc) Thats another $75-$100. Not to mention the gas and beer lines, and 2 corny kegs. I think $205 is a great price. Plus, you don't have to make that 3 trips back and forth to the hardware store to get everything you need/forgot.

A cheapo 2-keg system probably uses picnic faucets and has a single-body regulator with a T or maybe a check-valved dual manifold. No shanks, etc.

If it has a double regulator, that's a great price. Get a list of what's included.

Assembling liquid and gas lines and fittings, and keg shanks and faucets does not require any significant DIY skills. If you can wrap teflon tape, cut lines with a razor blade, tighten things with a wrench, and screw some worm clamps then you can handle it with some fairly simple instructions to follow.

If you are looking to convert a refrigerator or freezer to install a tower or shanks and faucets, then the degree of difficulty increases, but you can save a lot of cash. It is really not too difficult, but you need to avoid coolant lines so you do not "brick" the refrigerator or freezer.

There are plenty of threads on here showing what people have done, and it sounds like you have found some of them. I would suggest you look through them and see if you find something you would be comfortable doing.

Okay, maybe I will buy the kegging system instead of trying it on my own. Here is what is included from Midwest Brewing Supplies:
-Two reconditioned 5 gallon stainless steel Cornelius kegs (25" Tall x 8.5" diameter - 27" tall with the disconnects.)

-(Optional) 5 lb New Aluminum CO2 tank (federal law requires that we ship these empty), which can be filled at any local welding shop

-A double dual gauge regulator that tells you how much pressure you have on each keg as well as how much CO2 you have left in the CO2 tank

-Two hand held taps

-And all necessary hoses and fittings.

Is there anything else I would need not included in this package? I am converting a fridge so I guess I will have to look into how to go about doing that.

Okay, maybe I will buy the kegging system instead of trying it on my own. Here is what is included from Midwest Brewing Supplies:
-Two reconditioned 5 gallon stainless steel Cornelius kegs (25" Tall x 8.5" diameter - 27" tall with the disconnects.)

-(Optional) 5 lb New Aluminum CO2 tank (federal law requires that we ship these empty), which can be filled at any local welding shop

-A double dual gauge regulator that tells you how much pressure you have on each keg as well as how much CO2 you have left in the CO2 tank

-Two hand held taps

-And all necessary hoses and fittings.

Is there anything else I would need not included in this package? I am converting a fridge so I guess I will have to look into how to go about doing that.

The only thing iffy about that kit would be the picnic (handheld) taps. Depending on how you're going to set this up, you may want to get something else with actual shanks/taps or a tower.

edit, i see the $205 system: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-dual-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html

Look up the Sanyo conversion threads and you've got what you are looking for. I bought the Sanyo and just used it to chill my kegs and served by opening the door and using the included party taps.

A truly excellent friend of mine decided that I was working too hard and gave me a two tap tower as a birthday present. He drinks for free for life and I throw in whatever specialized brew he wants on his birthday. This year he wanted a robust raspberry porter. I didn't like it but I'm told it is tasty.

If you can put together Ikea furniture then you can make a kegorator. I spent $10 on a big hole bit and used my cordless drill to put a hole on top of my Sanyo. I came out of it with a pretty big rip in my hand, but that's what I get for using tools and booze at the same time. :drunk:

/Don't spend more than $10 for the bit unless you plan on making more than 2-3 holes. The cheapo bits work great.

Well, I already have a full size fridge that I was hoping to convert (the wife has me on a budget). Now, if I am doing my research right, all I would need along with the kegging system would be 2 faucets and 2 faucet shanks. Is that about right?

-edit-
And taps and a drip pan...

You're on a budget, forget the drip pan!

Of course if you want things to be pretty then by all means go for it.

optional means - not included in the price listed. you just have to purchase a faucet, hex assembly, and a shank. probably need more beer line - 5 feet or so to prevent foaming up too bad. That co2 tank might cost you around $75

i did the same thing. I bought from kegconnection, got the dual reg. 2 faucet fridge conversion kit. I upgraded to perlicks and got the drip pan. I had them leave in the picnic taps so i could put the system together at my leasure. about a month later I still haven't drilled the holes. I am considering getting a chest freezer now, those two kegs and co2 tank take up more space then i anticipated and I lost more shelving in the fridge then i wanted. everything came put together so that was very nice.

Back