Maple and brown sugar oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zstewart123

Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I were talking about oatmeal stouts one day and we remembered back to our childhood eating maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal. Has anyone made one? The buddy was wondering when to add the brown sugar without being used by the yeast. My suggestion would be to add it after fermentation stops as it is racked to the keg. This is our first attempt to make our own recipe. Let me know. Thanks!

unless you kill the yeast with campden and sorbate they will ferment the brown sugar no matter when you add it.
if you kill the yeast you will have to keg and force carbonate,and as you keg it should be ok.

I would think that when you add the brown sugar at packaging time (if you stop fermentation) the beer would turn out too sweet. I'd put it in the boil for the last 15 minutes. I made a Brazilian lager using brown sugar and it turned out great. I wouldn't use maple syrup in a batch again. I made a maple syrup beer a few years ago and added the syrup in the boil (15 minutes) and it turned out nasty. If I could offer any suggestions, add the maple syrup for packaging, not in the boil.

Thanks guys for the advice, instead of maple syrup could I not use maple extract? That will give the taste of maple syrup without the added sugar.

Bump? I can't seem to find any answers about maple extract. I too want to make a maple oatmeal stout

A little maple extract goes a long way.

If you use grade B maple syrup the flavor will be more dominant and left fermentable(16 oz) Also bottle with some maple syrup (1.25 cups)

As for the brown sugar... Maybe caramelize it to complexify the sugars a bit.

Hope that helps.

Anyone made this yet? I plan to do so in next month.

Thinking to do as VonRunkel suggests: 16oz Grade B syrup and a cup of light caramelized brown sugar (probably when primary is close to done), and if still not enough maple character, priming with more syrup to bottle.

I had a brown ale at hotel near Heathrow in UK about a year ago, made with Canadian maple syrup, that was really nice.

Back