new here need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderdrinker

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new and have been experimenting with some Cider recipes. I made a cider from EC1118 and some organic apple cider I bought at Trader Joes. I put 2 cups white sugar in with one gallon and left for about a month. I filtered the mixture with a coffee filter as I transferred to 1 Qt fliptop bottles. I added two tablespoons priming sugar. Here's my question...three of the bottles came out completely flat and the last bottle was ready to blow! Also, I noted that all four had a large amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, even thought I let it sit and it appeared to be done fermenting.

I can report the finished product was very tasty. I let it sit for about 8 months before I drank it, but I would really appreciate any advice on how to get a little carbonation and not eliminate the fear of a bottle explosion. Also, I would love to hear other ideas about recipes. Thanks in advance!!

:mug:

Did you add priming sugar to each bottle individually or to the main jug?

When you added the priming sugar, did you dissolve it in water or stir the cider after adding it?

What you describe seems like the sugar may have just gone to the bottom of the jug and as you poured it the first few bottles may not have gotten much or any, and then the action from pouring mixed up the priming sugar so the last bottle got most of the sugar and was too carbonated.

Hello Everyone,

I'm new and have been experimenting with some Cider recipes. I made a cider from EC1118 and some organic apple cider I bought at Trader Joes. I put 2 cups white sugar in with one gallon and left for about a month. I filtered the mixture with a coffee filter as I transferred to 1 Qt fliptop bottles. I added two tablespoons priming sugar. Here's my question...three of the bottles came out completely flat and the last bottle was ready to blow! Also, I noted that all four had a large amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, even thought I let it sit and it appeared to be done fermenting.

I can report the finished product was very tasty. I let it sit for about 8 months before I drank it, but I would really appreciate any advice on how to get a little carbonation and not eliminate the fear of a bottle explosion. Also, I would love to hear other ideas about recipes. Thanks in advance!!

:mug:

There was sediment in the bottle because you bottle carbed your cider. Bottle carbing is just your yeast fermenting the new bottle carbing sugars you added.

It sounds like they all fermented just fine, but the bottles that were flat must not be sealing well enough. Check the seal on those bottles. You might need to order new seeing caps for them.

To avoid bottle bombs, you need to know how much sugar to add when you are carbing. I will post a link that I use to figure this out. But maybe someone else has a better method for figuring out how much priming sugar to add

Back