help with evaporation rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I boil in a keggle with a banjo burner and my next beer will be a 90min boil.
I have been evaporating around 1-1.5 gallons per hr I think. so should I assume about 1.5 - 2 for a 90 min boil?

1.5 to 2.25 would be my guess. Worst case scenario you could add water to the boil if it looks like it's evaporating faster than you planned for.

:tank:

Im thinking about saving some of the runnings to top off with about 10-15 minutes left in the boil.

Bad idea. One of the reasons you boil for at least 60 minutes (and why I always boil for 90) is to drive off SMM, the precurser to the dreaded DMS. A chemical that will leave your brewed with a stewed cabbage kind of flavor. I usually just start with a little over 8.5 gallons in the boil to end up with 5 gallons come bottling time.

Bad idea. One of the reasons you boil for at least 60 minutes (and why I always boil for 90) is to drive off SMM, the precurser to the dreaded DMS. A chemical that will leave your brewed with a stewed cabbage kind of flavor. I usually just start with a little over 8.5 gallons in the boil to end up with 5 gallons come bottling time.

what is your evaporation rate for 90 min?

Worst case scenario you could add water to the boil if it looks like it's evaporating faster than you planned for.
I've done that and it's worked well. One thing, though - when you add water, it works better if it's just been boiled itself. Adding cold water can kill the boil for a few minutes, which although not the end of the world is a slight PITA.

My evap rate runs between 11% and 13%. I set beersmith at 13% and if my volume looks high I crank up a good rolling boil for the last 15 min.

What if he was boiling those runnings in a separate pot for the entire time just in case he ended up needing it?

What if he was boiling those runnings in a separate pot for the entire time just in case he ended up needing it?

that would work absolutely and would pump up his final gravity. He'd better account for loss to evaporation there as well.

:tank:

Back