Tarantulas and other interesting spiders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swarley88

Reaction score
Any of you home brewers into tarantulas and spiders as much as I am? A very misunderstood and extremely interesting group of anthropods.

when our company moved from Vegas to just outside Boulder City, the new building was infested with yellow scorpions & sun spiders. when the sodium lights went on, you could see them scatter to the walls. those sun spiders would come out while we were working and attack our feet then retreat. I think they're all very interesting, but that's as far as it goes.

I used to keep tarantulas and scorpions from my late teens and to my early thirties, at one time I had over 20 tarantulas in my apartment. I also had frogs, a couple of boa constrictors and a ball python, but I had to give most of them up because I didn't have the time to properly care for them while trying to run a business.
My favorite of the tarantulas was the first one I ever got back in '94, a B. smithi (Mexican Red Knee), he died in 2008, lived with me for 14 years.

I use to have a couple of pet tarantulas. I had a Mexican Red Leg that died when it was about 16 years old, and a Haitian Brown that was almost as big as a dinner plate and was a real nasty little bugger

I was working outside today and thinking of spiders. Mainly because there were a lot of them out. Not as many as spring and summer though.

Wolf spiders, jumping spiders, harvestmen (not really a spider), stretch spiders, tick spiders (reminded me of this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/just-passedpawn-347957/ ), orb spiders, brown recluse and a bunch more we just call regular spiders.

I used to keep tarantulas and scorpions from my late teens and to my early thirties, at one time I had over 20 tarantulas in my apartment. I also had frogs, a couple of boa constrictors and a ball python, but I had to give most of them up because I didn't have the time to properly care for them while trying to run a business.
My favorite of the tarantulas was the first one I ever got back in '94, a B. smithi (Mexican Red Knee), he died in 2008, lived with me for 14 years.

That's pretty awesome. My first one was a Grammatosa Rosea. Her name was Rose. I still have her too :). They do some really peculiar things.

I was working outside today and thinking of spiders. Mainly because there were a lot of them out. Not as many as spring and summer though.

Wolf spiders, jumping spiders, harvestmen (not really a spider), stretch spiders, tick spiders (reminded me of this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/just-passedpawn-347957/ ), orb spiders, brown recluse and a bunch more we just call regular spiders.

Where in the world do you live at? I live in Minnesota, only spiders I can see are inside.

Where in the world do you live at? I live in Minnesota, only spiders I can see are inside.

Me too. And I couldn't be happier. Screw those things, I could never live anywhere near them. And no, they are not more scared of me than I am of them. Completely irrational? Pretty much, but I'm happy up here.

Movies have taught me to steer clear of "misunderstood" creatures. Never usually works out for whomever describes them as such. =p

I don't mind spiders, but if they're big enough to have to use a handgun to kill them, then yeah, no thanks...

We have a lot of really pretty garden spiders here.

Like this, the banana spider:

stockphotopro_18622bed_banana_spider.JPG

And this, the orb weaver:
2648104638_fe0e243f1f.jpg

My favorites, and the most rare, are our red widows. When we first moved here, I had a female red widow sitting on a few egg sacs on my garbage can. I knew they were just as toxic as black widows but I had no idea they were endangered in our area. Sadly, I hit it with wasp spray. I really wish I hadn't done that now. It was well over 12 years ago now so the statute of limitations is long gone on endangered bug death, but i've yet to see another one in our area. Makes me sad to think about it.

red%20widow.jpg

My favorites, and the most rare, are our red widows. When we first moved here, I had a female red widow sitting on a few egg sacs on my garbage can. I knew they were just as toxic as black widows but I had no idea they were endangered in our area. Sadly, I hit it with wasp spray. I really wish I hadn't done that now. It was well over 12 years ago now so the statute of limitations is long gone on endangered bug death, but i've yet to see another one in our area. Makes me sad to think about it.

Here's one of our pretty garden spiders..

ForumRunner_20130128_191601.jpg

keep around 30 at this time, not includeing a communal tank of H. incei I long lost count of how many in this tank

All right. You got some 'splainin to do....Peculiar HOW??

Well when they eat they do a really weird dance, they spin in a circle and lay down silk and then put the food in middle of that silk and sit and eat for hours. The way that they rub their legs in their spinnerets and then rub up and down their abdomen to clean themselves. How they molt and do some crazy acrobatics. Those are only a few of the many peculiar happenin's.

stockphotopro_18622bed_banana_spider.JPG

2648104638_fe0e243f1f.jpg

red%20widow.jpg

Where do you live at? That red widow is beautiful.

Orb weavers are cool. This one made his/her home on a friend's front porch. I love the skull theme in their patterns.

Crazy_SpiderSmall.jpg

Yea that page dispels all the "myths" you hear about the spiders (generally from prior service people who want to "brag"). They're still not my favorite creature (spiders in general).

Growing up in the midwest we had large (1"-3") yellow/black and red/black spiders that would hang out in the ditch by the culvert. Not sure what they're called.

Most spiders are cool to look at, but I'm not a big fan of touching 'em.

Yea that page dispels all the "myths" you hear about the spiders (generally from prior service people who want to "brag"). They're still not my favorite creature (spiders in general).

Growing up in the midwest we had large (1"-3") yellow/black and red/black spiders that would hang out in the ditch by the culvert. Not sure what they're called.

Most spiders are cool to look at, but I'm not a big fan of touching 'em.

I like looking at all. Some I will not try to touch. But some I will have walk on my hands and arms. Any house spiders I will "play" with and crawl all over me.

Someone was telling me that tarantulas have personalities and can show a strange kind of "affection" when they get to know you as the bringer of dinner.

I'll stick to mammals, but spiders are one of those hobbies that it is cool for someone else to have.

CreamyGoodness said:
spiders are one of those hobbies that it is cool for someone else to have.

+1
I don't really have a problem with spiders, or insects either, just don't consider them 'pets'.

Back