Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agentEhrman said:
Doh, bought my ingredients and completely forgot to get hops. I was planning to brew this up tomorrow and won't be able to pick them up. I have willemette, mt hood, and glacier on hand for low alpha... Can anyone tell me if one of these would be a good sub?

Willamette is an awesome sub for this recipe. One of my favourites.

Question!

I got the ingredients for this...and I just got my first ever lager yest (WLP 830) with a starter going right now.

Would this beer be appropriate for the lager yeast, and fermented cold? Or should I just stick with ale yeast and ale temps?

Bottled this 1.5 weeks ago. Had a bomber that was only 3/4 full so decide to throw it in the freezer and crack it today. It is already a really good beer. Should be great by super bowl, but afraid there won't be much left after that.

Unibrow said:
Question!

I got the ingredients for this...and I just got my first ever lager yest (WLP 830) with a starter going right now.

Would this beer be appropriate for the lager yeast, and fermented cold? Or should I just stick with ale yeast and ale temps?

If you haven't done anything with it yet the lager yeast would actually be more to style

Crookedtail, How did your batches turn out? I brewed a slightly bigger version of this last week... hit my 1.058 and it's sitting at 67 for a few more weeks. I guess it'll be a DecemberFAST...

2011-11-02184854.jpg

Sorry about the lack of a response.

Mine were a few points higher than expected. I guess my efficiency is better than I thought. They tasted great. Everybody loved them.

My only criticism (as I've mentioned before) is the S-04 yeast. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the esters this strain produces. Next time I brew this I'll probably use a cleaner strain....maybe a Kolsch yeast.

Other than that I love this recipe.

Sorry about the lack of a response.

Mine were a few points higher than expected. I guess my efficiency is better than I thought. They tasted great. Everybody loved them.

My only criticism (as I've mentioned before) is the S-04 yeast. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the esters this strain produces. Next time I brew this I'll probably use a cleaner strain....maybe a Kolsch yeast.

Other than that I love this recipe.

This strain throws a ton of esters at higher temps (~70), but if you keep it cool (low 60's) it's super clean and gives a lot of lager characteristics (especially with this malt bill).

I tasted after 5 days in the bottle, and OMG - this beer is simply amazing

I've never had a commercial Oktoberfest with this kind of crystal malty flavor. Just great. Thanks for the recipe! I know it will be 10 times better in 3 weeks after proper conditioning.

This strain throws a ton of esters at higher temps (~70), but if you keep it cool (low 60's) it's super clean and gives a lot of lager characteristics (especially with this malt bill).

I've fermented it at lower temps and still get a flavor I don't like. I'm just not a fan of this yeast.

BM, how long would you recommend mashing this for? In going to attempt a BIAB version of this later today but couldn't find this information. Thanks!

Brewed this up BIAB in a 3 gallon batch. Everything went according to plan with a 90 min boil, but I just tasted it and I definitely have some DMS canned corn flavor going on. The only thing I can guess is I didn't boil hard enough for 90 minutes? Not really sure...
Has anyone had this when tasting after 2 weeks in primary? Hit my numbers and am all the way down to 1.006 after about 2 weeks at 62F. Any chance this will clean up if I leave it in the primary for a little longer?

Brewed this a month ago. Started at 1.058 and it stopped at about 1.022. I was hoping it would go down a bit further but it's been there for weeks. Kegged and tasted it today. It's warm and flat, but I already know that next time I will be using a different yeast. It's good, but there is a lot of sweet fruit flavours, I'm assuming from my fermentation temp. My basement is 68-70 degrees, and I have read that S-04 produces a lot of esters. I can't wait to see what it's like cold and carbonated.

Where did you get that hop/gravity chart on the front page? I assume it's part of the software you used to create the recipe?

Just starting to take sample tastes from this beer after 5 days force carb. Little young yet but can tell this beer is gonna go over well. Sweet but not cloying. I used wyeast kolsch yeast and fermented at 61 for ten days. Also reduced the 20l to 1# and added 1# of 60l. Fogot I used my other pound of 20l for an IPA and 60l was the lowest caramel that I had. Waiting for sam adams octfest to come out again so I can compare the two.

Brewed this today and plan on aging it for 20 weeks (until October). The OG was 1.063, but I was a half gallon shy of 5 gallons, so after I topped it off it was at 1.056. I can live with that. My basement is 64 degrees, and after a few weeks it'll sit in a keg down there until fall.

I *can* wait, though. No rush for autumn! But at least I'll have something to look forward to.

So I am having an Oktoberfest party this year. We are doing a Vienna lager an Oktoberfest lager and I am going to do a 10 gallon batch of this as well. After reading all of the reviews about this one I am wondering if we should even bother with the lagers at all as they will be taking up space in my keezer. I am extremely excited to brew this.

I have to quit reading through your recipies.:) I want to try them all. Did you leave this in the secondary for 4 weeks?

since there is no flavor/aroma hop addition in this recipe can I just use Casacade because that is what I have? Will it make much difference?

Would White Labs cream ale blend work for this? Wlp080. Thought it would give it more lager like characters.

thanks for the substitute reply. I am a real idiot. I went and measured out the grains (and not the hops) to see what I needed, then went to the home brew shop. after getting back I went into the freezer to do my hop breakout and lo and behold, the 6 oz of Mt Hood I thought I had were gone. I am subing for the subs. Now using a combination of Saaz, Stryian Golding and Perle. Hope these work too.

I remade a simplified version of this one about 8 weeks ago and tapped it for a neighborhood party this past (Halloween) weekend.

I put it on tap upstairs next to my Wit.

49% 2-Row
23% Vienna
18% Munich
10% Crystal #40

It was a huge hit. Cleared up nicely and very quickly. Smooth flavor.

If you can't get aromatic or aren't a big fan...this simpler recipe gets 6 thumbs up from my neighbors.

Was short on cash, nobody I knew had Vienna, so I made this as follows:

9 gallon batch
9lbs. American Pale Ale
7lbs. Munich
1.8lbs. Crystal 40L

Overnight mashed at 156. I'm thinking this will end up dry as my first overnight mash attenuated 97%. Then again, maybe I denatured some beta in this higher temp range (first time I mashed at 153 and was simple pale ale).

Anyways, used Perle 0.70 FWH, 0.3 @ 45, and Tettnang 0.75 at 30. IBU's should be just a scoche over 20.

Pitched SF Steam Lager yeast and ferm'ing it at 54. Probably just long-primary it for a month, diacetyl for a few days, then cold-crash/lager it sub-40* for another few weeks, then keg in October.

Was short on cash, nobody I knew had Vienna, so I made this as follows:

9 gallon batch
9lbs. American Pale Ale
7lbs. Munich
1.8lbs. Crystal 40L

Overnight mashed at 156. I'm thinking this will end up dry as my first overnight mash attenuated 97%. Then again, maybe I denatured some beta in this higher temp range (first time I mashed at 153 and was simple pale ale).

Anyways, used Perle 0.70 FWH, 0.3 @ 45, and Tettnang 0.75 at 30. IBU's should be just a scoche over 20.

Pitched SF Steam Lager yeast and ferm'ing it at 54. Probably just long-primary it for a month, diacetyl for a few days, then cold-crash/lager it sub-40* for another few weeks, then keg in October.

Not the forum for this question I'm sure....but....what is this "overnight mash" you speak of? How do, did you execute?

Has anybody let this sit for 3 weeks or more in the primary? I just brewed last night and then found out this morning I'm out of town for the next three weeks. Was hoping to go 1 week primary, 3 secondary.

The longest I've ever left anything in the primary was 17 days. It'll be at a constant 65 degrees btw.

Thanks!

Has anybody let this sit for 3 weeks or more in the primary? I just brewed last night and then found out this morning I'm out of town for the next three weeks. Was hoping to go 1 week primary, 3 secondary.

The longest I've ever left anything in the primary was 17 days. It'll be at a constant 65 degrees btw.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with long primaries.

Not the forum for this question I'm sure....but....what is this "overnight mash" you speak of? How do, did you execute?

Check out this thread, it is an interesting concept...I was going to do a dry run with some used grains this week to see how my cooler/mash tun holds. tre9er does it in the cooler, other guys use the oven. Kool concept for saving brew day time.

We got unusually high efficiency and ended up with 1.062 OG. Its now at 1.022 after one week in primary (used S-04). The taste is mighty good and not sweet. I think I will let it sit on the yeast another week before maybe transferring to a secondary (only because the brew master recommended in the original recipe).

Sheldon

Finally got some ferm going on this with the SF Steam Lager yeast, down to 54 at first, raised to 57 now. It's creeping along but I planned to give this all the way until and of September before kegging. Hoping for a very clean, malty beer. My neighbor is a long-time brewer but he didn't do a Marzen this year. Also a huge lager guy, so I'm hoping to impress him with this one :D

Back