15 Year Old Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle415

Reaction score
My Grandfather used to run a home brew shop in the early 90's. So every time I visit, I raid his basement. I got a lot of good stuff to get started(carboy, buckets, capper, grain mill...).
This time around I found a box with different bags of grains. All of them are sealed. The flaked maize is a little sticky though. Every thing else seems like it is still good.
I know this stuff is 15 years or older. Do you think its still good? I'm going to make something out of this no matter what, unless you guys say it isn't safe. Maybe some of you can help me come up with a recipe??

This is what i got:

9lbs Lager Malt?? not cracked
5lbs US Chocolate Malt not cracked
2lbs flaked rye
5lbs flaked barley
7lbs flaked maize kinda sticky but sealed nicely

Any feed back would be great!
Thanks a lot!

Holy Crapola!!! 15yrs. is REAL old, man!!!! I guess if you open the sacks and they don't smell musty or stale you could use it. I wouldn't. I don't think. Hmmm. Well, I'm not there, so I really can't say for sure. Like I said, if it isn't musty try it out. Hell it's free, right? Man you gotta let us know how this turns out if you do brew with it K?? Promise me that!!!!!!:D:(:D

I'll keep you updated for sure!
It actually smells great, weirdly enough. I don't think ill use the flaked maize it kinda has a funk. But what the hell, I'm definitely gonna make something......:drunk:

Main thing that comes to mind is that you should assume any malt that old has no enzymes: if you use it, make sure to mix in some new base malt(six row if you don't want to add too much) with enough potential to convert the old grain.

do you have a mill? im sure the uncracked stuff held up much better over the years than the flaked..should prove interesting. Does he have any 15 year old yeast?

I would crack a few ounces of the lager grain and do a micro-mash: 152F 60 minutes. If the wort is sweet and starch-free (and tastes good), have fun.

So I broke out the coffee travel mug mash tun.....

It wasn't very sweet, so I don't think there was much conversion :(
I'm still gonna make a batch...probably a 2.5gal. I'll post the results!

Back