Keggle Quick Connects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Modifying my 3 tier into a direct fired RIMS so I am adding quick release connections.

Trying to figure out the most cost effective way of doing this. Currently looking at metal garden house quick releases but you have to add fittings to adapt the hose thread to 1/2" NPT. So the costs spikes.

Any other options? And are you guys putting the quick release nipple on your keggle side connection or on the hoses?

Looked into using cam lock connections but I couldn't find any under 3/4" and they are bit pricey.

St. Pats in Texas makes a 1/2 inch male pipe thread sanitary disconnect. If you already have a 1/2 inch coupling in you keg you could add these. I think they are $16 a piece. Not super cheap, but I have a few of these and they are very strong and very easy to use.

1. It doesn't have to be sanitary.
2. triclovers are neat but it's a two handed operation and not all that quick.
3. I'd rather chop my wang off than to give St. Pat's business.

I cannot preach enough about the brass jobs I got from McMaster. I posted specs and pics here(post 17), I think....

Found the connectors they use for power washers but since the largest this store carried was 3/8", I went with 3/4 in Cam Lock connectors with some step down adapters instead.

Poly version of these:

cropconnector.jpg

There is only one way to go and that is the way BobbyM stated above. McMaster Carr is the best! Use the numbers he gives above and don't look back. They have high temp seals in them. I bought 14 QD's for my system. Overkill but not really because they all have a use. don't shy away from the 90 degree. After hooking up to my build i found out quickly that the straight barbs (i chose by looking at the catalogue)will allow your tubing to kink. The 90 degree barbs (BobbyM's numbers) allowed the liquid to flow perfectly with no kinks and stress. Set up an account with McMaster and your parts will be at your door the next day or two.

I like the cam locks. Anybody use them in their brewing?

I am now. They seem to seal real well. No actual o-ring or anything. I'll let you know post brew day.

I finished mods on my keggles. Was trying out the pump and realized the 3/4" braided tubing I was going does not have thick enough walls. The input side starts to collapse with hot water. Damn. back to the store. (I've been back and forth to store(s) so many times in the last 2 days I can't count any more).

I had a feeling those walls were to thin. Guy at the store said they would be fine. Always go with your gut.

Added a sight tube to the MLT so I can monitor the water level during sparge without having to climb up and remove the lid.

Well if I can get the hoses sorted out in the morning I will be brewing on this by the afternoon. Direct fired rims. Might change over to a herms later down the road.

Latest posts

Back