Kegging Stouts - Nitrogen a requirement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
I keep reading about people using nitrogen, rather than CO2 for stouts. Can you use CO2? So far, my favorite homebrew is my Oatmeal Stout, and I've been bottle conditioning it. I'd like to move to kegging, but SWMBO will kill me if I have to double up on the kegging equipment just for stouts.

Yes, you can and should use CO2. Kegging with CO2 will give you the same result as your bottle conditioned beers, beer gas would give you a creamier texture and less flavor.

I think the nitrogen is mostly for people trying to get that super thick Guinness-style head. Nitrogen makes very tiny bubbles, which make the head thicker.

This is homebrewing.... there are no "must-do" rules.

I prefer to dispense my stouts with Beer Gas... I love the rich creaminess the nitrogen brings to my stout, to say nothing of the fact that it's different, there's a great novelty factor to it. OTOH, a friend of mine who loves to drink great quantities of stout, refuses to even pour a pint of mine, can't stand the mouthfeel.

So do what feels good to you...

:mug:

Latest posts

Back