I am looking for a good Wheat beer reciepe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwedel

Reaction score
OK I am not only a newb to the boards but also to brewing. I have done four Williams Extract kits: Williams Sout, Williams Belgan Triple, Williams Triple Hopped Ale, and Williams Belgan Siason.

It is time to try my hand at AG brewing. So I am looking for an AG Wheat beer to brew. My wife enjoys Blue Moon. Does any one have a clone for Blue Moon?

Any help will be appreciated.:mug:

Blue Moon - Belgian Wit

This recipe is Dr. Keith Villa's 5 gal recipe for belgian wit (He is the head brewer at Blue moon brewing)

5 Lbs 2-Row pale malt
2.75 Lbs unmalted white wheat
1 Lbs rolled oats
1 oz Hallertauer
.25 oz Saaz
.5 oz Bitter orange peel
1.25 oz ground coriander

WYEAST 3944 witbeer
1 cup Corn sugar to prime

mash in at 42'C for 20 min. raise to 50'C for 25 min. raise to 75'C for 10 min. and mash out. Lauter, sparge, drain. Boil 15 min, then add Hallertauer. Boil for 60 min then add Saaz. Boil 10 min then add coriander and orange peel. Boil for 5 more min and then cool.

90 min boil
75 min hallertauer
15 min saaz
5 min Coriander and orange peel:D

I'll add my 2 cents on this. The true belgium strain of yeast for a wit is not the same as a blue moon. My wife also likes blue moon but did not like my version (I did, but its an acquired taste). I currently am carbonating my experimental wit which is pretty much like Bills post here but I used amer hefe yeast. Taste test probably in 3 days... Both recipes are in my sig.

Desert- any issues whith your mash getting stuck on those wheat beers? I'm going to make 10 gallons of an american hefe similar to your apricot wheat, and just wondering about a qty of rice hulls being added if any.
I'm planning on using a 50-50 combo of pale malt , and malted wheat

My last batches (double brew day) didn't get stuck but were slower than normal. I didn't use hulls as you can see from the recipe but will the next time. My big problem with these batches has been crappy efficiency @ 60% or so.

With my belgium wit although different grain bill, my efficiency was 73% with .5 rice hulls added. The next time I make this I'm going to add .5# hulls and also do a 122 rest for 20 minutes, then the rest of the mash schedule as recommended by others here.

I've been doing wheats lately and have settled on 1/2# of rice hulls for up to 5-6# of wheat malt (assuming the wheat is 50-60% of the grist) as my SOP. For more than 6# of wheat malt or if it exceeds 60% of the grist I'll go with a full pound.

I also find it helpful to cut the grain bed as I get to the end of my batch sparge (not sure about fly). The wheat often sets up and forms a 'tub' on top of the grain bed...if I cut through that just to the depth of the barley it gives that stranded water a path to escape (just the last quart or two) without disturbing the overall filtering affect of the grainbed.

Here's an extract version I found. It uses a different yeast:

Blue Moon Ale Clone

5 lbs. Extra Light DME
2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes)
½ oz. Hallertauer whole hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Coriander Seed (crushed - ½ boil 10 min, ½ steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Orange Peel (zested fresh and dried, steep 10 minutes)
500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

Specifics:
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
SG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

homebrewer_99 said:
Here's an extract version I found. It uses a different yeast:

Blue Moon Ale Clone

5 lbs. Extra Light DME
2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes)
½ oz. Hallertauer whole hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Coriander Seed (crushed - ½ boil 10 min, ½ steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Orange Peel (zested fresh and dried, steep 10 minutes)
500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

Specifics:
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
SG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

I wonder if Abbey II yeast will work. I have some for my Lazy Monk and I could just work on top of it.

So then it shouldn't be a problem. Sweet.

I'm doing my 80/- first and then I'll have two fresh cases of beer to drink on, so I might not start the Blue Moon right away.

I bought a glass carboy today.

Back