best method for cleaning blow off hoses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
what are the best methods of cleaning a blow off tube? i try to get to it as soon as possible before is hardens but its such a pain, any tricks?

i remember some one had a cool tube with elbows to pull apart and easy to scrum but I want to use smaller dia tube than that guy.

Take a piece of paper towel and wad it up so that it fit's in the tube tightly. Use the carboy/bottle washer to push a few pieces through. This will remove crud as long as you don't let it dry first. For that caked on stuff, bleach or oxyclean works pretty well.

I soaked mine in PBW and after I let it soak a while, tied a string to the wire loop on my bottle brush, fed the string thru the tube and then pulled my brush backwards through the tube.

I soaked mine in PBW and after I let it soak a while, tied a string to the wire loop on my bottle brush, fed the string thru the tube and then pulled my brush backwards through the tube.

Does this method make scratches that could trap bacteria or anything?

Does this method make scratches that could trap bacteria or anything?

I'm sure that it's possible to scratch the surface, but the way I look at it, I'm doing more good than harm. The wire loop on the brush isn't really what I'd consider abrasive and I usually only pull it through once.

I soak mine in my MLT cooler with a little bleach. It cleans both at the same time.

I use a piece of solid wire, (using plastic insulated solid copper will prevent any scratching), to one end of the wire I make a hook and attach 2,3 or more pipe cleaners, dip the pipe cleaners in oxy-clean and pull it thru the tube. This works well for beverage dip tube on cornie kegs too.

After my first batch of beer I immediately soaked the blow off hose in water. Then I soaked it in oxyclean. It has a milky look to it now. Should I worry about this? I'm pretty sure it's clean, but it not being completely transparent has me wondering.

Here's mine. I just used a bottle cleaner to scrub the gunk out after a PBW soak.

DSCF5214.jpg

Back