Did I kill my yeast by rehydrating it with hot water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierislekker

Reaction score
Hi all!

I brewed a batch of double chocolate stout. It came with a pack of dry yeast, which I wanted to rehydrate. I poured a cup of cold water from the tap in the bowl with yeast, and then realized the instructions said "around 90F".

This is where I must have been asleep, as I poured in another cup of water straight from the water heater. It must have been near BOILING. I realized my mistake 30 secs later and added more cold water to bring it back down.

10 mins later I threw it all in the bucket.

It has been 72 hours and there is still zero bubbling in the airlock. Here is a picture of the beer: http://i.imgur.com/foduyB7.jpg I did not take gravity readings. :(

Did I burn and kill my yeast and should I repitch?

IMG_1303.jpg

That looks like Kraisen scum on the side of the bucket and the foam looks like post fermentation spooge. Take a gravity reading and report back. I'm guessing you're about 80% through primary.

That looks like Kraisen scum on the side of the bucket and the foam looks like post fermentation spooge. Take a gravity reading and report back. I'm guessing you're about 80% through primary.

OK, thanks for forcing me to take my very first gravity reading. :)

The recipe says OG 1.056 and FG 1.012. It is currently at about 1.016.

Also, I saw a ton of little bubbles when I opened up the bucket. It looked like 5 little fish farts per second.

Is this good news?

If you see a krausen ring around your fermentor you did not kill all of your yeast. Period. It is a clear sign that there has been an active fermentation. Bucket lids can leak and fermentation can occur without any bubbling in the airlock. A double chocolate stout? I would leave it in the fermentor for at least two more weeks. Just put the lid on and ignore it.

You might have not had a good seal on your bucket lid allowing gasses to eascape which would make the airlock not bubble. RDWHAHB.

Besides the seal on your bucket, you may have just a little too little fluid in your airlock if its a 3 piece. I've done that once and didn't see it rise and fall.

Latest posts

Back