Dry Hopping with citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schaeffert99

Reaction score
I just made an extract ipa. I'm thinking about dry hopping with citra for more of a kick. I was wondering when and how much to use. Thanks in advance. Here is the recipe

Recipe: Hoppy blonde ale TYPE: Extract
Style: English IPA
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 11.5 SRM SRM RANGE: 8.0-14.0 SRM
IBU: 63.0 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 40.0-60.0 IBUs
OG: 1.057 SG OG RANGE: 1.050-1.075 SG
FG: 1.014 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.018 SG
BU:GU: 1.096 Calories: 199.7 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 5.7 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 5.50 gal Boil: 3.50 gal BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs Total Hops: 3.00 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 11.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.058 SG Est OG: 1.057 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min](8.0 Dry Extract 3 33.3 %
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min](8.0 Dry Extract 4 11.1 %
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 26.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 14.7 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 21.5 IBUs

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 4/27/2013 - 4.00 Days at 67.0 F
Secondary Start: 5/1/2013 - 10.00 Days at 67.0 F
Style Carb Range: 2.20-2.70 Vols
Bottling Date: 5/11/2013 with 2.3 Volumes CO2:
---NOTES------------------------------------
May 2 2013 Brew Day
Steeped temp hit 160.

Darker than I thought it would be

Disregard the fermentation info. Its only been in for 5 days now. My plan is to have it sit in primary for 2 weeks. Then rack to secondary and dry hop for 7-10 days. Also, I am not sure if I should use pellets or whole leaf

depends on if you want the more tropical fruits or grapefruit in the final product. if you like both try 1 oz of the citra and .50 oz of cascade as your dryhop for 7 days.

Anything over 1.5 oz per dry hop addition is a waste.

Since it's just a regular IPA I would do what d2xx recommended. Or if you just want citra try one single oz.

Anything over 1.5 oz per dry hop addition is a waste.

Since it's just a regular IPA I would do what d2xx recommended. Or if you just want citra try one single oz.

Because its citra, or dry hopping in general? I would love to see the science behind that. In my own personal experience, and in literature (Mitch Steele's IPA book, Stan Herionymus' Hops) I think its somewhere around a pound per barrel where you get diminishing returns. but that is closer to 3 ounces for 5 gallons. IPAs I dryhopped with 2 ounces weren't even in the same league (seemed more like heavy pale ales compared to) as ones that get 4+. Thats just me, and it depends what the OP is going for, more east coast vs west etc.

A little bit of Citra goes a long way. I often put more than 3+ ounces of dry hops in my IPAs, but with Citra....I'd just go with one. That's just a personal preference though.

Because its citra, or dry hopping in general? I would love to see the science behind that. In my own personal experience, and in literature (Mitch Steele's IPA book, Stan Herionymus' Hops) I think its somewhere around a pound per barrel where you get diminishing returns. but that is closer to 3 ounces for 5 gallons. IPAs I dryhopped with 2 ounces weren't even in the same league (seemed more like heavy pale ales compared to) as ones that get 4+. Thats just me, and it depends what the OP is going for, more east coast vs west etc.

Not just Citra, ANY hop.

This was a post from scottland in the Heady Topper Clone thread:

"Oregon State University, and a number of commercial breweries (including coors and rock bottom) have run tests, and found that they didn't get any more discernible hop aroma or flavor when they added more than .5lb/bbl of dry hops in a single addition. Any more hops than that (~1.3-1.6oz in 5 gallons) were deemed a waste.

Many brewers have found that adding more than one addition of .5lb/bbl does increase hop aroma and flavor. There's really no hard science behind it at this point, as I've yet to hear anyone describe why it works. I can tell you empirically, that it does work though.

If you want to prove it to yourself, Split a batch of beer. Dry hop one fermenter with 4.5oz of hops once. Dry hop the other with 3 1.5oz additions split across two weeks. Then see which has better hop aroma."

Here is a link to the study: http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/34093/Wolfe_thesis.pdf

I agree I just dry hopped a pale ale with 2oz of citra and in my opinion it was just right for my pale

for you all doing multiple dry hops: are you taking any precautions racking due to repeat oxygen exposure?

I just did a zombie dust clone with 4 oz for about 10 days and it was great. You can smell it from across the room.

well I dry hopped 10 days with 2 oz of citra. The aroma was fantastic but I think I should have added more to the bittering. It tastes slightly mellow compared to what I was hoping for. I will let you all know in a few weeks how it turns out

taste of this badboy is perfect for a nice summer day. Nice tropical flavor without the palette bursting hell of over bittering. pleasently surprised

Back