Brett Beer Sink Spoon 100% Brett Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandloathinginaustin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP644 Brett B Trois
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
50 days @ low 70s
Tasting Notes
Tangerine & a little funk in nose. Very smooth & fruity. Tropical hops play well.
This has been very well received and will be entered in upcoming contests. My buddy stirred the 80 degree wort with a dirty spoon from the sink, hence the name.

Grain Bill:

10.5lb US 2row
2lb Rye
1lb Franco-Belg Munich 6-8L

BIAB
Mash Schedule: 151 for 60min
Mash out at 168 for 10min

Hop Schedule:

60m - 1oz Magnum 12.2AA
10m - .8oz Citra 14.4AA + .4oz Nelson 11.8AA
5m - .6oz Citra + .4oz Nelson
0m - 1oz Citra + .9oz Nelson
Dry Hops - 2oz Nelson + 1oz Citra for 12days

Water was 2gals of RO + 5.5gals of Brita filtered Vegas tap water. Added a teaspoon of gypsum to the mash.

Curious as to what size starter you pitched on this one. Considering something similar and I've got a 1200mL 644 on my plate for the past 10 days. Belgian IPA recipe I usually brew starts around the same, so I just want to make sure I pitch enough to chew through in about the same amount of time.

It was probably 600-700 mL for 8 days on the stir plate. It would have been bigger if I would have had bigger flasks at the time. Sounds like you'll be fine.

BTW - With quite a bit of age on it this got a 32 & 36 in the Specialty category in the 10/20 SNAFU competition and due to a mix up the base style wasn't given to the judges, so it has been holding up fairly well.

How long did you ferment it and did you take a gravity reading? Did you bottle condition or force carb?

beerandloathinginaustin said:
I bottled it after 5 weeks and used bottle conditioning. Had one of the last bottles left the other day. Drinks like an interesting funky Belgian Pale now: https://untappd.com/beer/228379

Sweet, mine is on wk3 right now and I'm about to add the dry hops. When you said specialty that's cat 23 right? Not cat 16e( I think). You went specialty not Belgian specialty?

Back