Priming Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjune613

Reaction score
I recently just completed my first batch of 5 gallon American Amber and the kit I used said to use 5 oz of priming sugar and when I started to drink it I could tell there was a ton of carbonation. I felt as though it was over carbonated. There was tons of head to the beer when it was poured. Anyone have an idea on how much priming sugar should be used?

I recently just completed my first batch of 5 gallon American Amber and the kit I used said to use 5 oz of priming sugar and when I started to drink it I could tell there was a ton of carbonation. I felt as though it was over carbonated. There was tons of head to the beer when it was poured. Anyone have an idea on how much priming sugar should be used?

It varies quite a bit, there are lots of calculators like this one.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

I had this same problem on my first batch. I think mine was because I followed the directions on the can and bottled after 10 days. Lol. In my case I think the yeast just still had lots to do when I added even more sugar. You can always gas the bottles and recap them. Just remove the caps and let them vent for a couple minutes then cap them again. It should help the problem. In the meanwhile be careful of bottle bombs ;-). I'm sure someone who knows more than me will chime in here soon. Cheers

Either they gave you too much sugar or your brew hadn't completely fermented out before you bottled.

Keep the bottles as cold as possible. The warmer they are, the better chance that the bottles will rupture.

If you're lucky enough, you can just open the bottles, let them sit for a while to degas, then recap them. However the odds are that they will just foam over when you open them. If so do the following (tedious) procedure:

- Lift the cap very lightly with a churchkey, just until you hear gas starting to escape. Don't take the cap off, the bottle will just foam over
- If you start getting foam, tighten down with your bottle capper
- repeat until you can lift the cap lightly without it foaming over.

At some point drink a test bottle. Use this to calibrate your degassing process, and to reduce the overall tedium :mug:

Back