Fermentation Chamber, best route

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondavis08

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've ignored thread after thread suggesting that controlling fermentation temp is the best way to make good consistent beer. I've been more excited to make the jump to AG and of course needed a kegging system :) Now I've decided to take off the blinders and want to start plotting out a fermentation chamber.

If you were to start fresh what route would you go for a fermentation chamber. I'd prefer to use a digital controller over any swamp coolers or SOF and I want to be able to hold a least two carboys. Is a chest freezer the way to go our making something out of a mini fridge. I've been able to DIY almost all my projects so I'm willing to get my hands dirty.

Thanks!

For me the easiest way was to convert a mini fridge to hold 3 fermenters ebay temp controller and ceramic heater. Cost was fairly cheap and modifying a fridge makes it easier to get carboys in and out.

+1...I would certainly recommend a frige over a chest freezer.

Ki-ri-n,

Did you use on temp controller for all three slots? Do you have any pics of your set up, I've been thinking of something similar. Last question, whee did you get your heater?

Thanks!

I use a commercial beverage cooler. It took me about 4 months of patience waiting for the right one to come along on Craigslist, but I got a $1200.00 True unit in perfect condition for $125.00. They are all over my local craigslist for $400-500, though, so if you can't wait, you can probably find one today. I then added a Johnson A-419 controller for $53.00, and I was good to go!

I like the bling factor and being able to watch my fermentation through the glass. Here's the unit I ended up with:

images

I converted 2 mini-fridges. One I just bent the freezer section down (gently) and added a platform to even out the bottom and a temp controller. The other, I had to add a collar, then added a temp controller. I wanted to be able to ferment 2 beers at different temps. That's just me, though. Have them stacked nicely in the corner.

3687-3358.jpg

3688-3359.jpg

Mine holds 3 carboys all at once. The 3 outlets on the back of my controller are for; heating cooling and a fan outlet that comes on when it calls for heat or cool. Helps circulate the temp evenly. I just used a cheap ceramic heater from harbor frieght.

I bought a freezer on craiglist for $75. Ripped out the controls and defrost heater and installed my own control. Removed the door rack and installed shower board. It will fit 6 carboys.

Fridge_1.JPG

Fridge 008_.JPG

Back