Sweetining my Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrg

Reaction score
Hey folks. Not sure if I should be starting a new thread for this or not, but figured it might be a good idea. I'm about to bottle my very first batch of cider. The receipt that I'm using is below.

4 gallons for Mott's apple juice
4 cans of Great Value frozen apple juice concentrate
1 lb Light Brown Sugar
I packet of Windsor brewing yeast
Roughly half gallon of purified water

I'm thinking this is going to be dry (I haven't tasted it yet). Most of the people that will be drinking this don't like dry stuff so I has thinking I could sweeten most of it, and leave the rest dry. I'm also wanting to carbonate it. How would I go about carbonating all of it, and then only sweetening some of it? I've heard splenda works well since it won't ferment, but to be careful with it as it's really really sweet. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

peace
-gw

I wanted to bottle and carb some and not others. Sooo...I poured the sugar straight into the bottles. Then I found out my wife had replaced the suagr in the jar with Splenda! Best mistake ever. Here is how much I used:

12 ounce bottles use 3/4 tsp.
16 ounce bottles use 1 tsp.
20 ounce bottles use 1 1/4 tsp.
22 ounce bottles use 1 1/2 tsp.
1 liter/quart bottle use 2 1/2 tsp.
2 liter bottles use 1 1/2 tbsp.
3 liter bottles use 2 1/4 tbsp.

Added straight to bottles. Not too sweet, really goooood. I carbed the same way with cane sugar later when I figured out why I wasn't getting bubbles :cross:

I would leave the water out, though. It will be plenty dry and fruity without watering it down.

I did 4 gallons juice, 4 cans concentrate, 2 lbs dextrose, Montrachet yeast.

Definitely not Hornsby's, much higher ABV and dryer. But wayyyyy sweeter then wine or Champaign

will i need to worry about mixing the splenda at all or just put it in the bottle, and then pour/rack (whatever it's called for bottling) into the bottle. I don't really want to shake it, because i thought that wouldn't be good for it.

Thanks, I think I'm going to give splenda a try on half my batch... I personally like it dry, but it should be good for everyone else....

Back