$2 shipped digital thermometer Will it melt??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmac85

Reaction score
I just bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150796658334

I saw multiple auctions for this. It says
Digital LCD Thermometer for Refrigerator Freezer
Technical parameters:
Temperature range: -50℃~110℃
Temperature display resolution: ±1℃
Temperature measurement accuracy: ±0.5°C
Power: 1*1.5v voltAG13 battery
Long probe line: 80cm molded case probe
Size: 47*28*14mm
Weight 30g

I wanted to use this in my kettle as an easy way to read the temp instead of the old school one. My only concern is the probe is small (no jokes please). Will the rubber connected to it melt if I submerge it in the boiling wort?? For $2 I figured I would get it no matter what.

I dunno, but I DO know that I wrecked three probe thermometers by leaving them in the wort. One was for my smoker, and one even bragged about the probe being dishwasher safe.
Your therm doesn't sound or look like it's intended for use with foods or liquids. Maybe save it for your keezer or something.

I have one of these and it's totally unreliable but is good enough for bath water.

It's also probably not food grade.

That probe does not look like it is designed to get wet, much less boiled.

Sorry to say, but I think it is exactly what it was it was advertised as... a fridge/freezer thermometer.
Pez.

Even if the rubber doesn't completely melt, I would be worry about it leaching chemicals. I think you probably got exactly what you paid for in this case - Chinese takeout. Tanks you!

There are pretty good thermometers with more adequate probe lengths (jokes, please!) starting at about $12.00. Save up the extra $10.00 this time!

Back