Quick disconnect problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman42

Reaction score
My CO2 inlet quick disconnect seems to be leaking. The keg is airtight when it is detached and I can press it down and wiggle it to stop the leak. I changed and lubed the O-ring, which helped for about 24 hours, but it is doing the same thing again. I noticed that there is a slot on the top of the disconnect. Is this a screw? Does it do anything useful, like tighten the connection? I can't really see how, but it seems awfully conspicuous to do nothing at all. Do I just need a new disconnect?

I am working with a pin-lock system.

Thanks!
kman

There is a small chance that there's a bit of gunk in the connector. The slot is for dismantling the connector. It should be a little more than finger-tight. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd replace the connector.

I'll take it apart tonight. It seems to me that it is a bit loose when connected since I can push it down and wiggle it and this leads me to believe that it is leaking at the o-ring or where the nipple contacts the poppet, rather than inside the connector. Any other suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

kman

make sure its not leaking where the disconnect attaches to the gas/tap line.

I've had a leak like that before, first on a gas line only when a little lateral pressure was applied to the gas line, and another time on a beer line right at the end of the keg (so I only lost a pint before it went dry)

I am having a similar problem. Drained 2 cylinders of beer gas! It must be a slow leak. I took the cylinder and the regulator to the beer supply store and they verified it held pressure and determined it must be a problem with the post or the disconnect.

I replaced the disconnect and the o-ring on the gas post. However, the quick disconnect doesn't appear tight as I can attach it just fine but after it's on, I can depress it even further. It doesn't seem to wiggle but I can push on it. My other 4 kegs don't have this problem.

Before I waste another cylinder of beer gas can anyone think of anything I can do!? Ball Locks by the way.

Is there a chance that you have the beer out post end the gas post switched on the keg?

-= Jason =-

I am having this problem with just one CO2 Quick Disconnect (ball lock). I have tried the same QD on four kegs and it leaks on all of them. I have also tried other QD's on these same 4 kegs with no leaks, which leads me to believe it is the QD. It is a brand new QD.

Am I missing something??

Have you tried taking the disconnect apart, cleaning, and reassembling?

My issue was resolved with a new poppet, new quick disconnect, and a new post. Luckily I had all but the poppet and that was cheap.

Good luck!

Have you tried taking the disconnect apart, cleaning, and reassembling?

My issue was resolved with a new poppet, new quick disconnect, and a new post. Luckily I had all but the poppet and that was cheap.

Good luck!

The quick disconnect is brand new, never been used, I don't think it's dirty. I replaced the o-rings in all three kegs. I have two quick disconnects that work fine on the kegs, it's just this one.

Back