Where's the Grapefruit Taste/Smell coming from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_ozz68

Reaction score
Here are the particulars......

10 pounds Pilsner
1 pounds Vienna Malt
8 oz Munich Malt
8 oz. Carafoam

1.5 oz. Tettnang @ 75 min.

1 pkg WLP-029 yeast

60 minute mash @ 149 degrees
90 minute boil
16 days in primary @ 64 degrees
Cold crashed with gelatin 8 days
Kegged and set it and forgot it @ 9psi

Now the big question, when I took the gravity reading after 10 days in the primary it had a VERY strong Grapefruit smell and taste...when I kegged it, a week later, the smell and taste was still VERY strong and now that it has been on the gas for a week I just pulled my first pint and it still has a very strong Grapefruit smell and taste.

This is the first time that I used this Tettnang and the WLP-029, could either of these be the cause?? Or could it be an infection?

Thanks for any input.

It doesn't necessarily sound like an infection to me, though it's not impossible. It sounds more like a combination of the yeast and the beer just being a little green. Kolsch beers have a bit of a citric and acidic profile; combined with the harsh 'green' flavors, I suppose it might taste a bit like grapefruit. I would wait a while to see if it dissipates; one week on gas isn't very long.

Thanks Skyforger........Like I mentioned, I have never used this yeast before so I was quite surprised by the heavy Grapefruit smell/taste. I have tried most (all) of my beers when they have still been a little "green" and none of them have tasted like this one, so I guess for now I will chalk it up to the yeast and wait a couple more weeks to see if it gets any better........If anyone else has any other input/comments I'm all ears.

Thanks again Skyforger!

Back