Concept for a new backyard.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuyako

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some feedback from the gang here on the idea for my backyard. The first photo is what my yard looks like now and the second is what I want it to look like. (sorry 'bout the lame photo I don't have a scanner) Anyway the hop trellis is on the right with three pieces of twine going up to the top and (not shown) three half barrells for them to grow in. A new deck for lounging durring the summer and some veg garden beds. Anyway for those experienced in the way of the backyard I was hopeing for some advice or if it is more than I can chew.

bk_yard_corner.JPG

concept.JPG

By the way only recently has it been since I've lived in a house so this is all new to me!

Go for a large gazebo so that you have coverage,roof, for when it rains and you still want to chill. Its all very doable it just depends on money and well money. But is is a cool idea for filling an empty yard. it would also mean alot less grass to mow.;)

I have several rain barrels that I use to water my garden. Presently I manually turn them on and allow soaker hoses to water my hops and herb garden. The plan is to buy battery powered timers and put these between the hoses and the rain barrel so I don't have to walk over and turn them on by hand (way to much work to do that).

Given your raised garden is in the back of the yard, your either need to drag hoses over to water everything or some near by rain barrels solve your problems.

If you built the gazebo (which lets you hang out in the rain), the roof could be the source of the water, a gutter directing the rain from your gazebo to the rain barrels, then later to the raised garden.

Also a composter, opposite end of the gazebo, but still near the raised garden could be a place to dump garden refuse and in the winter a source of mulch and compost to over winter your garden.

Had another thought, I'd cut off all the low hanging branches on that tree in the right back corner and skip the trellis. Use the tree as your trellis. Put a few eye hooks into it, run your strings up say 25 feet, grow your hops there in a 'teepee' like fashion, with string running up high for your hops to grow on. I'd have the ropes go up, then loop back down, so at the end of the season you can lower them rather than unhook them (by climbing). Lowering ropes is a little harder to set up but pays off at the end of the season.

First off, I like the raised garden beds. I have my own landscaping business and I have put in a lot of them - they are both aesthetically pleasing and easy to maintain. However, I would be very wary of putting in a deck on the other side of your property away from the house. The hop trellis seems fine, though if you really want it nice I would go with the four legged pergola with a patio underneath. Is great in the summer and can easily be upgraded over time to be the ultimate beer garden. Plus you can plant your hops on it and enjoy your beer in the shade. Here is a general picture of a nice pergola off Google - wouldn't have to be big or fancy but you get the idea. Good luck. :)

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/j/Pergola.jpg

I do like the four post pergola idea, might want to sketch that out.

Anyway the main reason for putting the hop trellis where it is is because of the dog. He tends to try to fight the dogs on the other side of the fence, hence the small baracade infront of the trellis.

As for the tree, it's in my neighbors yard so nothing I can do there. I'll probably get some rain barrels as it does rain here quite a bit *looks outside "yep"* and I don't mind pulling the hose out and watering, it's long enough.

check for utility setbacks before you build anything. some properties might have right-of-ways on the sides or rear of the yard. You wouldnt want to build your deck on one of those, just in case a service provider needs access.

Also, not sure of sunlight, but would your hops work better on the left side of the yard to get out of the shadow of that large tree?

looks great, though! wish i had a yard that size, and/or wasn't moving again in the summer!

In the summer that side of the yard does get quite a bit of sun. I took that pic a few months ago late in the day. Not to mention a few trees will be going away soon and another cut back so that should help with the sunlight.

As for the deck it isn't going to be attached to the fence and the only way to get into the back yard is where I was standing when I took the picture.

Back