New hop--SORACHI ACE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SORACHI ACE --Unique lemony aroma... Developed in Japan at Sapporo Breweries. Pedigree; Brewer's Gold x Saaz. High yield potential.
high alpha acid potential 13-16%

Anyone ever heard of these? They are available at freshops. I'm blown away by the AA%. I'm ordering some.

One of the Heart of the Valley brewers had a pale made with it. They are not kidding about the lemon. Smooth bittering, like Amarillo.

david_42 said:
One of the Heart of the Valley brewers had a pale made with it. They are not kidding about the lemon. Smooth bittering, like Amarillo.

Cool. Thanks. I just ordered a pound of them from Freshops. KICKASS. :D

Chairman Cheyco said:
Is the Sorachi another patented strain like Amarillo?

Don't know, not much info out there on these. I'd kill to be able to produce a plant though. Wish I could find hop seeds fo rthese varieties.

I'm glad as hell I bought that Glacier rhizome last year--I noticed on the hop seller sites they aren't offering any this year.

Watch Freshops in the spring. If the rhizomes are available, I suspect Dave will get some. Better yet, send him an e-mail now and let him know you are interested.

I'm getting ready to order some hops from them tonight and saw the Sorachi Ace listed just now. Never heard of them. All I was able to find was that they are grown in Oregon.

Dude, did you get yours yet? I think I'm gonna add some to my order!

I just brewed an IPA using sorachi and amarillo. They smell awesome..maybe i'll add some to the beer i'm drinking right now!

Matt

<bump>

Just wanted to bump this up. I still haven't ordered any Sorachi Ace hops, but will today! I just wanted to see if there were any others that had used this hop variety since the intial posting back in November.

Thanks!

Just wondering.. has anyone here ever had a problem ordering pungent-smelling green leafy buds in tiny plastic bags over the internet?

I could easily see mail order hops as causing some "questions" to be asked...

Toot said:
Just wondering.. has anyone here ever had a problem ordering pungent-smelling green leafy buds in tiny plastic bags over the internet?

I could easily see mail order hops as causing some "questions" to be asked...
Nope. I doubt you'll have any problems unless you're already suspected of ordering/possessing large quantities of another green leafy bud.

I'm actually waiting for the day that my neighbors begin to suspect me of making meth or having a "stash." I've got nothing to worry about - I never mess with the illegal stuff - so it'd be entertaining to have the authorities investigate my brewing setup.

just ordered a bunch of hops from hops direct. figured I may as well buy in bulk and save a bit of cash.

I did pick up some sorachi ace. Gonna do an pale experiment and see how they turn out. Just need to decide what to pair it up with. My Simcoe-amarillo tastes great, maybe go with amarillo again to start off. Maybe some crystal too....

I order from Freshops all the time and even have them shipped to work! As soon as a type this, I'm placing my order online with them!:ban: Getting some of the aforementioned Sorachis, as well as more Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus and Magnum.

Rhoobarb said:
I order from Freshops all the time and even have them shipped to work! As soon as a type this, I'm placing my order online with them!:ban: Getting some of the aforementioned Sorachis, as well as more Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus and Magnum.

OMG...nice avatar!!! Is there a bigger version? Let's see it!

What is Magnum like? I'm going to be using some in a "brew-off" recipe in a few weeks--wondering what characteristics they have.

Magnum (German) is a high AA% bittering hop. Added a very crisp bitterness to an IPA I did... actually if you have ever done/tasted AHS's IPA II, it's bittered with Magnums (14% I think?) and finished with Tettnang. It was a nice combo where the bitterness hit you good and then was gone... it didn't linger in the mouth and get pungent at all, which I liked. Just bitter :)

texasgeorge said:
Magnum (German) is a high AA% bittering hop. Added a very crisp bitterness to an IPA I did... actually if you have ever done/tasted AHS's IPA II, it's bittered with Magnums (14% I think?) and finished with Tettnang. It was a nice combo where the bitterness hit you good and then was gone... it didn't linger in the mouth and get pungent at all, which I liked. Just bitter :)

What he said! Beat me to it, texasgeorge!

It is similar to Nugget, IMHO, but a tad smoother I have read that SNPA uses Magnum as a base and I've seen a couple of SNPA clone recipes that call for them. That's what I'm using them for. I bet they'd work great in a LWPA! :rockin:

Rhoobarb said:
What he said! Beat me to it, texasgeorge!

It is similar to Nugget, IMHO, but a tad smoother I have read that SNPA uses Magnum as a base and I've seen a couple of SNPA clone recipes that call for them. That's what I'm using them for. I bet they'd work great in a LWPA! :rockin:

AHEM. Avatar?

Regarding LWPA, I'll only use american hops in it because I want it to stay as close to an American Pale Ale as possible. I think the original version had Perle hops but that quickly got taken out after the first batch.

Dude said:
AHEM. Avatar?
Sorry, that's the only picture I have; nothing bigger. I used to have a couple more of her in more comprimising postitions, but lost them long ago.

Dude said:
Regarding LWPA, I'll only use american hops in it ...
FWIW, Magnums are a cross b/w an American Galena and the German Hallertau male, but they are a Pacific Northwest hop. They are sometimes referred to as Yakima Magnum. Any whole leaf Magnums we can get here in the US will come from there. :)

I just got mine yesterday. Anyone have any results to share?
:mug:

Rhoobarb said:
Sorry, that's the only picture I have; nothing bigger. I used to have a couple more of her in more comprimising postitions, but lost them long ago.

FWIW, Magnums are a cross b/w an American Galena and the German Hallertau male, but they are a Pacific Northwest hop. They are sometimes referred to as Yakima Magnum. Any whole leaf Magnums we can get here in the US will come from there. :)

I just got mine yesterday. Anyone have any results to share?
:mug:

Soon, I'm brewing up a single hop recipe with the Sorachi Ace hops. I'm callign it Sorachi Slammer. :)

Dude said:
Soon, I'm brewing up a single hop recipe with the Sorachi Ace hops. I'm callign it Sorachi Slammer. :)

Cool! Name fits the purported flavor profile, too! Let us know the results.

It'll probably be another two months before I get to brewing with them. I've got too many other brews on deck right now!

I did a Magnum/Nugget pale ale this past summer. I liked the magnum but was somewhat underwhelmed by the Nugget as a finishing hop--I probably should have used something a little more different from the Magnum.

I use Magnum alot in my APA's and IPA's. At first I wasn't to happy w/ them but after using them for a few batches (bittering only) , I like them alot. Clean bittering in and out of the pallet. Makes a great match with Centennial, Cascade an such.

I picked up some sorachi ace and magnums today! I couldn't believe my crappy hbs had them. Those sorachis are sooo aromatic, they smell like a giant bag of grapefruits, I can hardly wait to use them.

Dude, what's your Sorachi Slammer recipe going to be?

Chairman Cheyco said:
I picked up some sorachi ace and magnums today! I couldn't believe my crappy hbs had them. Those sorachis are sooo aromatic, they smell like a giant bag of grapefruits, I can hardly wait to use them.

Dude, what's your Sorachi Slammer recipe going to be?

Check my sig. Wanna work on an exact recipe so we can kind of get the same sense of the hop character?

Dude said:
Check my sig. Wanna work on an exact recipe so we can kind of get the same sense of the hop character?

You bet!
Do you always use wheat malt? I assume you're using it for head-retention purposes. I haven't had a problem with this yet in my brews. Recipe looks good so far. What temp are you planning on mashing at?

Chairman Cheyco said:
You bet!
Do you always use wheat malt? I assume you're using it for head-retention purposes. I haven't had a problem with this yet in my brews. Recipe looks good so far. What temp are you planning on mashing at?

yeah, I always use wheat malt. It shouldn't affect the flavor if oyu don't want to use it.

I was thinking about 150°, what were you thinking?

I'm game to change the recipe a little bit you know. I want a standard APA recipe so I can brew more single hop beers using the exact same recipe--including hop addition times. I'm considering dropping the IBUs a bit on this one. Maybe a straight up 1:1 BU:GU ratio?

Dude said:
yeah, I always use wheat malt. It shouldn't affect the flavor if oyu don't want to use it.

I was thinking about 150&#176;, what were you thinking?

Well, I used to mash a bit lower and use dextrine malt, but since I have started mashing a few degrees higher, I have been able to drop the dextrine all-together without noticing. I was going to say about 153&#176;. Is there another reason to add dextrine besides mouthfeel?

Dude said:
I'm game to change the recipe a little bit you know. I want a standard APA recipe so I can brew more single hop beers using the exact same recipe--including hop addition times. I'm considering dropping the IBUs a bit on this one. Maybe a straight up 1:1 BU:GU ratio?

Yeah, closer to 1:1 might leave a little more room for the hop flavor to shine through. As and aside, did you know that Pliny the Elder is lab tested to have only 67 IBUs? Go figure.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Well, I used to mash a bit lower and use dextrine malt, but since I have started mashing a few degrees higher, I have been able to drop the dextrine all-together without noticing. I was going to say about 153°. Is there another reason to add dextrine besides mouthfeel?

Let's compromise and go 151-152° then. :D

I'm pretty sure dextrine adds only mouthfeel, but I've noticed a little bit really helps me still. The only reason I don't mash so high now is because of the dextrine--and all of my buddies told me by beers were better when they were dryer. Once I started mashing lower they got better.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Yeah, closer to 1:1 might leave a little more room for the hop flavor to shine through.

I agree. Any input on where you want those hop additions? I'll run it through Promash and Beertools and see what it gives us for IBUs if I for example only do .5 oz. for bittering. I'll post results in a bit.

Any other changes in the recipe? The only reason I ask is that once I brew this Sorachi Slammer--this recipe is going to be MY base for my single hopped beers.

BTW, I'm going to use Safale-56, because I have a ton of it. I'm tempted to use the WLP005 slurry from the Pub Ale batch that I'm doing tomorrow though...but a true APA needs 56 I think. :)

Chairman Cheyco said:
As and aside, did you know that Pliny the Elder is lab tested to have only 67 IBUs? Go figure.

Yeah, I read that the other day! I find it so hard to believe, but interesting at least. The only reason I came up with 278 is because that is what Promash told me. :D

Weird.

I put the exact sam recipe into both programs and I'm getting much different numbers.

I'm going to stick with Promash for now until I figure out BeerTools.

Anyway, I changed up the hop additions to 60, 30, 15, 00 and DH. .5 oz. at each addition. That gave me 56 IBUs with an OG of 1.057 fixed at 80% efficiency. ;) Right on. Look/sound good?

Maybe I'll mash a little lower and add back the dextrine, 151.5 sounds perfect! :rolleyes:
That hop addition schedule looks good, I like having more later as well. Don't want any experimental additions if it's going to be a baseline, hop-evaluation beer. I think with those additions, you'll get a pretty good representation of the hop. What do you think about adding 5minutes to the last two additions and throwing in another ounce at flame-out? 20-10-0?
Yeast looks good, perfect for testing as well. Dry 56 is almost impossible to find up here... :(

Let me know when we're brewing this one. Maybe the first trans-national simul-brew?

Dude....I agree, I'd drop the IBU's quite a bit. 1:1 would be good, I think! That grain bill is pretty much identical to my Simcoe APA, except I added a little Munich as well. Are you really getting 80%?

And mash it no higher than 149. Pansies. :D

Chairman Cheyco said:
Maybe I'll mash a little lower and add back the dextrine, 151.5 sounds perfect! :rolleyes:
That hop addition schedule looks good, I like having more later as well. Don't want any experimental additions if it's going to be a baseline, hop-evaluation beer. I think with those additions, you'll get a pretty good representation of the hop. What do you think about adding 5minutes to the last two additions and throwing in another ounce at flame-out? 20-10-0?
Yeast looks good, perfect for testing as well. Dry 56 is almost impossible to find up here... :(

Let me know when we're brewing this one. Maybe the first trans-national simul-brew?

I like it. I'll change the recipe after MNF. Go Rams. :rockin:

SwAMi75 said:
Dude....I agree, I'd drop the IBU's quite a bit. 1:1 would be good, I think! That grain bill is pretty much identical to my Simcoe APA, except I added a little Munich as well. Are you really getting 80%?

And mash it no higher than 149. Pansies. :D

Yeah, 1:1.

yes, I get 80% even batch sparging now--and like 86 when I fly sparge. :D

Okay, I made the changes. Looks good!

Check the sig for the "official" recipe. Pirate Ale, extract version is in the notes. ;)

Chairman Cheyco said:
Looks awesome. When are you cookin' it up?

Probably pretty soon. I am trying to get a beer stock ready for the Super Bowl, so after my Pub Ale tomorrow, it'll prolly get brewed soon after that. I'm dying to try the Sorachi Aces.

I really want the Gaelic Ale done by then too, but my HBS doesn't have Scottish Ale yeast, which I really want to use in that.

I think I need to go shopping. BRB. :p

Dude, have you considered upping the wheat to 10%? I like your recipe, I may go with 60L over the 40 just for personal preference. But I like the wheat malt addition also.

My Sorachi arrived, so it keeps calling me from the freezer. Im just not decided if Im going to do a single hop brew or not. Maybe give it an Amarillo addition with it, just not sure yet.

Turns out I have to brew this today. I didn't realize until earlier that I didn't have all the necessary ingredients for the Pub Ale.

So....I'm heating up sparge water now....Sorachi Slammer is born!

Dude said:
Turns out I have to brew this today. I didn't realize until earlier that I didn't have all the necessary ingredients for the Pub Ale.

So....I'm heating up sparge water now....Sorachi Slammer is born!

Dang! I'll have to wait until the end of the week. Keep us updated!

Back