Boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
This question is information seeking rather than problem solving...

I see many posted recipes with prolonged boil time (90min 120min, etc). I understand if you're making a big beer with a huge grainbill, the extra boil time is needed to come down to volume. But many times I see a "normal" grainbill (10-15 lbs) boil for 90 or occasionally 120 minutes to come down to 5 or 6 gallons. Mechanically, I understand you'd need extra sparge water to do this, but what is the purpose for a prolonged boil? What characteristics (positive and negative) do an extra 30 or 60 minutes of boiling impart to a beer?

To the best of my understanding, its about maximum grain extract efficiency and target volume. I fly sparge - so I can up my grain bill and run-off 6.5 gallons for a target 5.5 gallon batch, or get higher efficiency by running off 7.5 and boiling a little longer.

I don't think boil time (beyond 60 minutes) has any affect on wort. It would affect my hops ratio if I put them in earlier than the last 60 minutes. I'm not ready for that kind of math yet.

it definately has an effect on the wort.
depending upon the grains used, esp. Pils, you need longer boil time to get rid of the DMS precursors, helping you avoid the off flavors from that compound.
also adds different melanoidin type flavors from the interaction of the heat on the sugars.

It has benefits for the wort... I always boil 90 mins.

It helps to drive off DMS and reduce the precursors
It helps to coagulate protiens and tannins
Better bittering hop utilization

Thank you everybody! This is why I ask so many questions - I now have more brew knowledge than I didn't know that I didn't know on the subject of boil time. All great things to keep in mind!

-Richer/maltier flavor
-More effecient
-Helps Tannin and protein coagulation
-Better hop utilization

Thank you everybody! This is why I ask so many questions - I now have more brew knowledge than I didn't know that I didn't know on the subject of boil time. All great things to keep in mind!

-Richer/maltier flavor
-More effecient
-Helps Tannin and protein coagulation
-Better hop utilization

Dont forget, drives off DMS!

Back