Best Aroma/Dry Hopping Variety??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewNate

Reaction score
I am still rather new to home brewing, but have started venturing out by creating my own recipes as opposed to sticking to the kits. Being an IPA fan, almost every recipe I create involves at least a decent level oh hop bitterness and aromas. When it comes to hops there is such a variety to chose from, all with their own characteristics. I have two questions related to using hops:

1. Can anyone recommend a good website or other source that presents the many hop varieties, and their flavor/aroma profiles, in an easy to understand manner?

2. This is a more specific questions... I am planning to brew a sort of apricot wheat IPA. I am not necessarily looking a lot of bitterness in my beer, but am interested more in it having a great hoppy aroma and just a bite of hoppy goodness that goes well with the citrus profile. I will be using Perle hops for bittnerness but am looking for something to dry hop with. Can anyone provide any specific hop recommendations that might go well? Something that has great aroma profiles.. Thanks!

Starting with #2 first: Wheat. IPA. Apricot. Technically three different styles all at once. Apricot wheat works well together, generally, but there is little to no hop profile. Have you had this before?

#1 Not meaning to stifle your creativity and I think it's excellent that you are experimenting/designing on your own (so what the hell, make an apricot wheat IPA!). There is a new book by Hieronymous on hops. BYO has published several issues/mags on hops and check out hop suppliers who have good descriptions of hops, andwhether they are bittering, aroma, or both...

Cheers!

NanoMan

Yeah, I understand it is something a bit out of the ordinary... melding an apricot wheat with an IPA. I guess I figured that I would try to make something that I haven't really found on the shelves. Plus I figured the citrus tones that dry hopping can provide would mesh well with the apricot flavoring....and if not, oh well... it's only a few gallons of water wasted :)

Do it! I'm gonna do a smoked IPA. Similar idea. Experimentation is the essence of brewing....

I don't know if Magic Hat's "#9" is an IPA per se, but doesn't that have both apricot flavor and some hoppiness to it?

I've consumed a lot of #9 in my day... it does have the apricot undertones, though I wouldn't consider it an IPA. I am planning to go much hoppier than magic hat. It won't be a hop bomb or anything, but definitely noticeable.

Nanoman, smoked IPA? That sounds very intriguing. You will have to let us know how that turns out!

I like the suggestion for Citra. No experience with Galaxy.

Cheers!

Nano, Galaxy is probably the closest you will get to Citra in a single variety (it is a tad more subdued than Citra--not much though, but if you can't Citra, Galaxy is excellent!)

I think if you go IPA level bitterness you'll never taste the apricot. A nice hit of Citra or maybe Mosaic would probably great for late additions and or dry hopping though. Just stay away from any that are described as piney or resiny and you should be good. Have fun!

Back