What the Heck is This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading sonofgrock's thread on Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different and I thought I might give it a try this weekend. I went to the Asian market here in KC and struck out on finding the yeast, but they did have a cooler full of the usual candidates. They also had this stuff, which I have never seen before:

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

The discussion of red rice in that other thread piqued my interest when I saw this ... but I'm almost afraid to try it. I know, I might have to give up my man card for saying that but I have *no* idea what to expect. Here's what it looked like from the drive home:

IMG_1785.JPG

Please don't tell anyone I might fear a beer ... I might have to resort to drinking this other stuff I saw there:

IMG_1784.JPG

I ain't got no mamm's or a uterus :(

But I drink it just for the taste of it:D

Interesting, thanks for the link RP. I did not want to taste it without any context - that's a strange thing for a (former) beer judge. My wife always asks "what beer do you like best?" and I can never answer. It's all in terms of how close it is to style.

It was easier when I picked beer based on how much I could buy for the money I had left. :D

since part of the brewery washed away due to the 2011 quake/tsunami! :(
Well that explains the chunkies I see.

I'll probably try it when my brew partner gets back up here. @ $4 a bottle I didn't want to buy more than one in case I don't like it.

Part of the brewery did not wash away, but the earthquake did cause damage. They had a batch in the mash tun or fermentor that sat for days and was infected by lactobacillus that they eventually bottled and sold that was a great sour beer.
There is craft beer in Japan, Hitachino Nest is fairly available in the US. They also have a beer aged in sake barrels that is great, called something like XH. The red rice beer is interesting, give it a try.

That beer is interesting. Just drink with an open mind. The hitachino nest white ale is awesome! If you find that I would pick it up. I'm acually propagating some of their yeast from white ale dregs right now.

Back