What would you make with this grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMcPeach

Reaction score
So I have the following grains all crushed and mixed together:

9lbs Pilsner
0.5lbs Crystal 10L
0.5lbs Aromatic
0.5lbs Biscuit

I have an idea what I could make with this but would like to get some thoughts from you guys.

What hops and yeast would you add to this, and what style of beer would it make?

I'd be willing to add any extra grains too if that helps.

Thanks.

I would make a saison or Belgian pale. Bitter to about 25 IBUs, then add an ounce or two of something noble-ish late. Ferment with whichever Belgian yeast sounds best to you. Obviously there are a nearly endless number of combinations here. Saaz and WLP550/WY3522 is my choice, but there are certainly other worthy combos. Of course, your grain bill is a fine base for an APA or other pale styles.

You have echoed what I was thinking. I was considering turning this into sort of a Leffe style beer by adding some Hersbrucker and Saaz and using some recycled Trappist High Gravity Yeast. My concern was the crystal malt perhaps not being quite suitable for a belgian ale but I guess I will just try it unless I get a better idea.

If I were designing the beer from the ground up, I'd leave the C-10 out. But if you mash on the low side, I don't see any problem with it. That yeast should get it pretty dry, and the biscuit/victory should help it taste a little dry too. Maybe go 30-35 IBUs if you think it'll be a problem. Never had Leffe, but I've brewed something similar to this recipe outline, and loved it. Maybe I should make more...

I tend to think that <5% C10 (really light crystal) isn't going to get you too sweet. You can also adjust with your mash temp as noted.

kingwood-kid said:
If I were designing the beer from the ground up, I'd leave the C-10 out. But if you mash on the low side, I don't see any problem with it. That yeast should get it pretty dry, and the biscuit/victory should help it taste a little dry too. Maybe go 30-35 IBUs if you think it'll be a problem. Never had Leffe, but I've brewed something similar to this recipe outline, and loved it. Maybe I should make more...

Thanks for the input. I was planning on a low mash temp to maintain as dry a finish as possible and your IBU suggestion is right where I plan to be. I know this wont make a leffe clone, but it will be a belgian style ale of a similar type and I am fine with that.

My initial plan (I put together my own recipe at the last minute while ordering) was to bitter with an oz of magnum, add 3oz of Columbus at 15, 10 and 5 minutes and then dry hop with another oz of Columbus and end up with a very hoppy ipa type beer. Upon re-reading what I ordered I thought a belgian ale made more sense.

I am just starting to make m own recipes and for some unknown reason I keep feeling the need to mix ingredients that usually don't go together.

Your other plan is good too. Belgian IPAs are great. Save the yeast cake from this batch so you can use part of it for more beer.

Back