Warning: Carnivores do not read this post, especially you Brits!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I warned you.

I give you my best batch of VEGETARIAN bangers to date!

2124945667_f63bc6f794.jpg

and the onions I am carmelizing for an onion gravy.
2124945671_fdc98c8a30.jpg

To be served with mushy peas (hopefully) and of course, mash!
Darn tasty and I have not even fried them yet. They have already exploded (bang!) though.
More to follow as dinner is made!!!

MMmmmmm, love those veggie bangers and mash!

:D

Nice! They look good, do you have a recipe?

SWMBO is a vegetarian, and I'm always looking for new ideas (since I do the cooking)

DaveyBoy said:
Nice! They look good, do you have a recipe?

2lbs of VEGETARIANS clothing removed and washed
1 clove garlic crushed
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped onion
1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1-1/8 yards sausage casing

Ok really. A recipe please.

Figured I would get more hate than recipe requests! ;)

I have to apologize though. I am terrible at recipes when it comes to food. I am one of those annoying little of this little of that type of people. I also do most of he cooking (thus the really filthy cooktop) around here. The advantage being... THE KITCHEN IS MINE!!!

I can tell you what I used but not exact proportions for all of it I am afraid. I will try and approximate where I can ~

Main ingedient to hold it all together vital wheat gluten. I actually did measure this time (to see what I had left) and it was 300g
Anway, without further ado...

Vegetarian Bangers recipe

~1/2 cup bread crumbs (?)
1/4 cup oatmeal
1 tsp of Marmite
2 TBSP of potato flour
4 TBSP of Tamari
couple of dashes of malt vinegar
~1/4 of a potato finely diced (for texture)
~ 1 TBSP of onion powder (or more?)
~1 TBSP of lemon juice
~1/4 nutritional yeast
~1 tsp of Marjoram
~1/2 tsp of sage
~1/4 nutmeg
~1/4 of tsp of freshly cracked black pepper
~1/8 - 1/4 of cayenne
~1/8 tsp of citric acid
~1/8 tsp of mace

Bring 1 cup of water to boil. Add oatmeal and cook a few minutes. Add potato flour and marmite. Let cool somewhat

Mix wheat gluten with remaining ingerdients (except bread crumbs) and stir oatmeal mixture. Add water to make a fairly loose sticky mass mix a bit to work the gluten. Add bread crumbs. Ad salt too taste if necessary (I did not ad any bt ymmv)

Take a glop of mix and roll it in aluminum foil to the size you like. Roll the ends tight!

Bake for 375° F for about 30 minutes. Let cool before unwrapping. Don't be suprised if some explode!

Fry and serve with mashed potatos and onion gravy.

Onion Gravy recipe (for bangers and mash)
2125209119_fa9e6b7916.jpg

Carmelize 4-6 Onions

Slice onions and place in medium sized sauce pan over med-high heat. Add a little salt to sweat the onions. Keep stirring every know and then. The sweating should create enough liquid to keep them from burning but watch because it depends on the water content of the onions. Turn the heat down to low once they start to brown. Stir every now and again for anywhere from 30-60 minutes. The longer they cook the more carmelized and flavorful they will get. Keep an eye on them though so they do not burn. Add a dash of water if necessary ocassionally.

When they are as carmelized as you like add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water with flour (or cornstarch, arrowroot or rice flour) about a 1 TBSP or so too thicken. Mix well. Add 1 cup of brew (I used a nice mild I have on tap) to add volume and so it does not get too thick. Add a splash of tamari, malt vinegar and a TBSP of stone ground mustard. Season to taste with pepper.

I am going to try the onion gravy tonight on so UP Pasties. I am going to respectfully pass on the bangers, although I would try one if someone else did all the work :)

Mushy Peas:
2125209121_affffdb1f8.jpg

Not totally authentic but I think they are tasty. I cannot find the "proper" dry peas. Plus they require soaking overnight and most times it is an after thought and I am :drunk:

So, here goes, quick easy lazy method.

Mushy peas "recipe"

In a medium saucepan melt a knob of butter (what's a knob, go look in the mirror! :D )
Add a 1 lb. bag of frozen peas. Stir. Add about 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Add about 1 tsp of baking soda. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes or so. Mash with a potato masher and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Yum.

and finally the whole meal with mash.
2125209127_485e8bce84.jpg

And a mild to wash it down.
2125209135_1e3428abc5.jpg

Oh boy was that tasty. I am FULL!

Well, maybe another pint. Or two.

Hey, I've snowblowed, shoveled and roof raked at least 3 times today. I need to keep up my strength. It is still snowing...

:mug:

olllllo said:
2lbs of VEGETARIANS clothing removed and washed
1 clove garlic crushed
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped onion
1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1-1/8 yards sausage casing

Ok really. A recipe please.

ROFLMAO :D (and that's not the Two Hearted talking :D)

Hey nothing wrong with vegetarian recipes :D

As long as they have a sufficient amount of ground chuck I'm ok with it ;)

J/k I eat a lot of vegetarian meals. Lamb comes to mind :D

Well, to further flummox you carnivores; seeing how edinburgh has been mentioned; my next project...

vegetarian HAGGIS

:rockin:

I have given it 4 tries now, everyone tell me it will tkae on the flavor of what you cook it with but so far that hasnt been the case

Nooooooooo!!! Vegetarian sausages are morally wrong. Tell me that you at least kicked a pig while making them ;)

The gravy and mushy peas look awesome.

SuperiorBrew said:
I can handle a boca burger but tofu is just plain wrong

really? im just the opposite. well prepaired tofu is a tasty meal. boca on the other hand is a moral offense (or at least a taste bud one).

this looks like an interesting recipie. ill have to try it out if i can ever find some Marmite in the middle of nowhere in small town Texas....

you could skip the marmite. Vegemite would work too. ;)

Essentially it is a yeast extract with seaonings made from, yup, you guessed it.

spent BEER yeast!

Maybe you could just though some yeast slurry in instead. :cross:

Kidding.

Well, I'm not a vegetarian, but I do eat mostly tempeh, nuts, soy products, and fish for my protein sources. I eat red meat maybe a couple of times a week. I made a veggie meatball dish (sweet and sour "meat"balls) that had ground nuts as the main ingredient. My son never did realize he wasn't eating meat. If anyone is interested, I can try to dig up that recipe.

Edit- SuperiorBrew- you crack me up.

beer, bread, and meat. civilization is built around it no?

those bangers look like p00p! the mash looks good... ;)

I'll admit that I normally like my peas firm, with a little >pop< and just barely steamed, but after seeing the pictures, those mushy peas look pretty good.

I'll have to give it a try. I already make an onion gravy VERY similar to that, so I'm good there.

I'm with SuperiorBrew and I'd love to try the bangers, but it sounds like alot of work!

:drunk:

Back