Bubbling resumed after 8 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleL0ver

Reaction score
I'm quite new to the hobby of home brewing...I'm doing a batch of Real ale from the Coopers kits with some amber LME. The batch started bubbling quite nicely after 12 hrs of pitching then tapered off. After 8 days it started slowly bubbling again at a rate of a bubble every 30 seconds, I'm sure it is nothing to worry about. I'm just curious why it stopped and started with such a long dormant period.
I'm keeping the batch temps around 72 F constant.

Thanks.

Think of an airlock as it's supposed to be thought of, as a VENT a VALVE to release gas, NOT as a fermentation gauge. All that more than likely happened is gas that has been present ALL THE TIME in solution got released, either from it being trapped in the yeast at the bottom of the vessel, because of some physical shaking of the vessel or the room it is being stored in, or the change in barometric pressure putting pressure on the liquid in the vessel or a rise in ambient temp causing the co2 to expand beyond the layer that was in the headspace. Or opening the fermenter to take a gravity reading....

Or because they moved the fermenter.

Airlocks bubble for many reasons Barometric changes/Temp changes/ A truck rumbling by on the street/The cat brushing against it/Vacuum Cleaner....Bubbling of an airlock, especially if it's been idle for awhile, is usually a product of changes in the environment, rather than anything else.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Did you move it, hit it, dry hop? A lot of times it's just more co2 coming out of suspension.

It also stirs up the yeast which can sometime get some mild fermentation going again

I'm unearthing a fairly old thread because this is a remark we've all seen splattered everywhere: swirl, stir, move your primary, and your fermentation kicks back to its youthful days. Given that we always also hear "Whatever you do, there's plenty of active yeast in suspension for bottling without additional yeast", what is exactly the effect of stirring?

From what I gather, most bubbling would come from a release of CO₂ that was present all along—is rousing a myth?

From what I gather, most bubbling would come from a release of CO₂ that was present all along—is rousing a myth?

If you mean stirring up or shaking a fermenter to get it to start fermenting again then I say yes, it is a myth. It's not going to ferment any more by shaking the yeast into suspension. Some yeast are slow to finish and this causes people to think their yeast stalled. Just give it more time. If the FG doesn't change over a week then it's done. If you shake it and the airlock bubbles then it's CO2 coming out of suspension.

As far as CO2 in suspension. I just racked Edwort's Apfelwein after a 5 week primary. The gravity sample I took had bubbles coming up like it was champagne. That's where your phantom airlock bubbles are usually coming from.

P.S. It's ok to start a new thread and not resurrect a 3 year old one. Although it was good posterity to see a Revvy reply

Back