Status of HB354 Bill To Legalize Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I looks like everything passed the committee on the 7th of March. I found a status from doing a google search that there was a substitution made to the bill. From what I can see it changed the (per individual) maximum limit from 200 gallons of beer a year to 15 gallons of beer a quarter. That equates into 1.7 (12 oz) beers per night. I don't want to complain because it's still a big step to legalize home brewing but it's still pretty piddly to limit it that drastically.

Anyone have any more information on this?:mug:

But they argued the first 3 to death and didn't get to it. It was postponed until Thursday 4/5 but I don't know if they got to it or not. If anyone else knows please post.

I got this email yesterday.

Get on the phone to your representative today!

Big news! HB354, the Homebrewing Legalization Bill, is scheduled for an Alabama House vote this Tuesday! It is now on all of us to convince them to vote yes.

Thanks to everyone who participated in our email campaign a couple of weeks ago! An amazing number of emails were sent to the representatives, and they definitely got the message. Now they need a reminder. Everyone needs to return to our email campaign web page ( <http://www.alahomebrewing.org/house-email-campaign> http://www.alahomebrewing.org/house-email-campaign), and use the tools there to help you easily send a short email message to all of the representatives. It should be just a very short message asking them to vote yes on HB354. Let them know how many of us there are in Alabama! This needs to be done Monday to give them a chance to see your email, so time is of the essence.

Equally important, it is up to each of us to convince our own individual representative to support HB354. As a constituent, your representative will listen to your voice. Given the short time before the vote, a phone call is the best way to get your opinion to him/her. Go to <http://www.alahomebrewing.org/contact-your-representatives> http://www.alahomebrewing.org/contact-your-representatives to see how to get your representative's phone number, and give a quick call on Monday, or Tuesday morning at the latest.

The third thing you can do to encourage the House to pass our bill is to sit in the House gallery and quietly watch the debate and vote. Our bill's sponsor, Rep. Mac McCutcheon, wants to point out all of the homebrewers there to the rest of the House before the vote. We need numbers for that to be effective! Besides bolstering the representatives' confidence to vote yes, your being there will make it less likely for opponents to toss unfounded insults about us in the debate, such as one last year saying that homebrewers are "trashy people". If you can make it to the Alabama House of Representatives Tuesday afternoon at 1:00 pm, please do! The address of the House is:

11 South Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36130

Thank you for your help! The House vote is a tough one, as was evident by their defeating our bill last year. Please help convince them to pass it this year!

Unless I missed something new in it I believe that's the one that came out on 4/2 for the 4/3 vote. I've not seen anything saying it's been up for voting since.

You are correct. That was attached to this email.

Sorry for the confusion.

News from Right To Brew.

Homebrew bill HB354 should make the schedule this coming week.
The bill is still in the House awaiting third and final reading and vote
before going to the Senate for a vote there. The House is going to
be the most difficult hurdle, but Rep. Mat McCutcheon, our sponsor,
is confident that we have the votes of the co-sponsors, this time.

Please contact your Representative AND Senator and ask to vote YES on HB354.

On 12/Apr/12 14:45, Jxxxx Txxxx wrote:

Just received word from Mac that Sen Bill Holtzclaw (Republican,
Madison) will carry our Bill in the Senate. Budget issues kept us
off the calendar this week, but we should be back on next week.
JT

Just thought I'd let you guys know...

I emailed my district's Senator, Tammy Irons, and Representative, Greg Burdine (District 1) to ask for their support in the upcoming bill identical to HB354. Representative Burdine voted Present on the bill when it passed the House. Since it passed the House the last time I think it's fairly safe to believe that it will pass the House this next time but it certainly can't hurt if we can get him to change his vote from Present to Yes. :)

Anyway, I received an email reply from Senator Irons stating that she would support the bill. :ban: :rockin:

Also, once the bill is filed, I was thinking it might be good to start a "Get Your Senator's/Representative's Vote for Bill HBXXX/SBXXX" thread. We could have the first post be a summation of each District's officials with their contact information. Also, as posters make contact with their officials to ask for their support, we can keep track of how each official [supposedly] plans to vote in that summation. What do you guys think about that?

Just thought I'd let you guys know...

I emailed my district's Senator, Tammy Irons, and Representative, Greg Burdine (District 1) to ask for their support in the upcoming bill identical to HB354. Representative Burdine voted Present on the bill when it passed the House. Since it passed the House the last time I think it's fairly safe to believe that it will pass the House this next time but it certainly can't hurt if we can get him to change his vote from Present to Yes. :)

Anyway, I received an email reply from Senator Irons stating that she would support the bill. :ban: :rockin:

Also, once the bill is filed, I was thinking it might be good to start a "Get Your Senator's/Representative's Vote for Bill HBXXX/SBXXX" thread. We could have the first post be a summation of each District's officials with their contact information. Also, as posters make contact with their officials to ask for their support, we can keep track of how each official [supposedly] plans to vote in that summation. What do you guys think about that?

I'm sure everyone knows that the reintroduced versions of this bill has now passed through both the Senate and House Committees on their way to full-floor votes.

As it turns out, Senator Tammy Irons responding to me via email today telling me that she was one of the 5 votes that got the bill past the Senate Committee!

:D :ban: :rockin: :ban: :rockin: :ban: :rockin: :ban: :D

I'm sure everyone knows that the reintroduced versions of this bill has now passed through both the Senate and House Committees on their way to full-floor votes.

As it turns out, Senator Tammy Irons responding to me via email today telling me that she was one of the 5 votes that got the bill past the Senate Committee!

:D :ban: :rockin: :ban: :rockin: :ban: :rockin: :ban: :D

I knew but I still love hearing it. What's everyone brewing for the end of prohibition?! I'm starting another thread on that one!

Back