CraigsList Cornys...God deal or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I have a guy on Craigslist who has 3 pin lock style, and 1 ball l ock style cornys for sale. he says 20$ each. I was going to buy the ball lock one. Should I get them all, or will tat be a pain in the ass to have 2 different styles? Will I need different hardware for each kind?

talleymonster said:
I have a guy on Craigslist who has 3 pin lock style, and 1 ball l ock style cornys for sale. he says 20$ each. I was going to buy the ball lock one. Should I get them all, or will tat be a pain in the ass to have 2 different styles? Will I need different hardware for each kind?
$20.00 isn't too bad but the mix of pins and balls could be a bit of a pain.

Try going to an online like brewersdiscount.com. They get $32 for two pressure tested cornies and I've had great luck with them.

I went to the site. It lists "Ball Lock Kegs" and then "Corny Kegs". Are they two different items? Or one and the same?

talleymonster said:
I went to the site. It lists "Ball Lock Kegs" and then "Corny Kegs". Are they two different items? Or one and the same?
Corny kegs are corny kegs. The difference is what kind of disconnects they have. Ball Locks are generally preffered with homebrewers. Pin locks are almost exclusively used by Coca Cola.

FYI, it was about $14 for me to ship two of those corny kegs.
however locally I have to pay $40 for a used, non-refurb, unwashed...but pressure tested corny.

So it cost me $5 more to get two shipped than to buy 1 locally.

Just to give you an idea.

talleymonster said:

I am assuming here that you went to brewersdiscount.com

Where they state Cornelius Kegs and Ball lock kegs:

I agree that they are a good source.

But technically Cornelius is a specific manufactor of kegs there are others such as Firestone and a few others. I'd suggest you ask them what they mean because it looks like they are stating Cornelius Keg and meaning Pin locks

Or you should specify ball locks or pin locks when ordering so you don't have any mixups.

There are a few other differences you might want to look into as well

There are single handle kegs and double handle kegs the single handle are cheaper. Also some of the old Firestones have plastic pressure relief valves most of these are cracked they may still be funtional but you'll be hard pressed to find replacements or replacement parts.

I got 1 that has some kind of oddball lid that won't fit any other corny I've ever seen.

Back