African Hop Giveaway!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
So I've been AWOL from HBT recently, living in the mountains of Lesotho (look it up, its this whole country) in Africa brewing the traditional sorghum method for the last year and change and I just came across my first hops and am willing to give them away. I want to find an established member who is willing to give them a try and tell us all about them. If you're interested, drop anote in this thread and I'll contact you by weeks end for shipping details. Khotso, Pula, Nala, btiches.

Are these ones you've picked and processed? I suspect they would get confiscated coming into the states, as they don't allow foreign veggies/fruits and plant matter to enter the U.S without special permits.

Might be worth a try though. Good luck.

What varieties do you have access to? What AA% ranges are we talking about? Do you have any info on them such as flavor/aroma descriptors, co-humulone levels, etc.? I'd be interested in trying them out if I can determine what styles they'd be good in, length of isomerization, etc.

Parker,

When you get the time, it'd be cool if you posted in the Gluten Free forum about your experience with sorghum.

Aren't you supposed to start this thread like this:

Dear Esteemed Sirs/Mrs.,

My name is General Major Police Captain Eleuthro Neegobo and I aquainted myself with your highest respectable uncle in the jungles of Lesotho while on a brewing expedition...

;)

Can you get rhizomes out of the continent legally by any chance?

I'm not exactly an established brewer as I just started out this year, but I do have a love for southern African. I lived in northern Namibia for a summer, stayed with a family and did some field research. I might not be able to give you the kind of insight a more established brewer would, but I'd certainly give some hops from the region a go in a brew if you'd have some to spare!

Well I have been brewing in one form or another beer,wine,mead for the last 18 years. I would be more than willing to give them a shot if you can get them out of the country.

If you can get them shipped into the states, I'd be happy to play around with them. Happen to have any info on them such as AA% or general tasting notes? I'd have to ask my boss, but it's possible I could do the actual analytic determination of AA% by solvent extraction in addition to playing around with them in a brew.

Aren't you supposed to start this thread like this:

Dear Esteemed Sirs/Mrs.,

My name is General Major Police Captain Eleuthro Neegobo and I aquainted myself with your highest respectable uncle in the jungles of Lesotho while on a brewing expedition...

Heh.

PLEASE RESPOND MOST IMMEDIATE THIS EMAIL

To be honest, I think this would be an awesome opportunity to introduce more hop varieties to the US market...I'd be all over USDA's ass for weeks on end if I had a hop strain that was never introduced to the US (as far as I know...). If anything, you'd hold some sway over hop farmers here in the states if it ever got approved.

Its probably just one of the local southern african strains, which you can buy here anyway, I wouldn't get too excited.

I can help with identification / classification (I am in South Africa, and work for a global brewer), if he has any, and the shipping is substantially closer :)

You US lads should try the South African Southern Promise hop, lovely.

Back