Finally, it tastes like beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
Finally! Something I made tastes like BEER.

I cracked my IPA after 2 weeks in the bottle and I am floored with how good this beer tastes. Absolutely floored, and absolutely delighted.

Beer #1 - Red Ale. Sucked. Burned the extract, not enough hops, too malty.
Beer #2 - Copper Ale. Decent, burned extract twang was prominent though.
Beer #3 - Pale Ale. Burned the $&*@&$)# out of the extract. Dumped it.
Beer #4 - Amber Ale. Don't know yet, its a friends' Bday present, waiting to try with him.
Beer #5 - IPA. I wrote the recipe, and FINALLY I made a good beer!

I was getting a little disheartened with the fact that my beers hadn't been very good, but I've FINALLY got a beer that I'm looking forward to drinking when I get home, not one that I'm trying to tough my way through until its gone.

woo! just had to celebrate.

ps: drinking an IPA at 11am without any food in your stomach = :drunk:

Good to hear you've found success. Any chance you'll post your recipe and technique? Have a good one. :tank:

Love to share!

Whatever's Left IPA
3.0lbs DME - 15 minutes
4.0lbs 2 Row
0.5lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.5lbs Caramel/Crystal 30L
0.5lbs Vienna Malt
0.95 oz Chinook (12.45%) - 60 Minutes
1.00 oz Centennial (10.00%) - 30 Minutes
0.44 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 5 minutes
1.00 oz Cascade (5.5%) Dryhop
1 pkg WLP001 California Ale
5.0gal Batch

Mash all grains at 154º for 60 minutes, sparge with 170º water. Add the extract late.

I was using up the hops that I had in my freezer from previous batches. Beer turned out AWESOME.

I know what you mean about burnt extract twang...everything tasted fine on my first brew except for that horrendous aftertaste...

The best part about that beer was the smell but that's about it.

Were you adding the extract while it was still on the heat/burner??

That's awesome Rook!!!
I'm still interested in hearing how that Mac & Jack clone turns out!!! One of these weekends we should get together and brew!!!

:mug:

kingjam, yeah, I was adding the extract while on the burner. i added it pre-boil, but post steeping of the grains. I have learned from my mistakes and will never add extract with more than 15 minutes left in the boil (plus it gives my hops more water volume to get bitter with :D)

davidr2340, I cracked it today, 3 weeks in the bottle. Not terribly impressed. Decent taste, smells and looks like Mac & Jacks, but still tastes pretty green. The IPA with 1 week less in the bottles tastes less green and generally just better.

We should get together and brew though! would be good times.

Back