Clear beer: Is it Yeast or Chill Haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
Not sure why but Ive had cloudy beers for my last 2 brews, both Munich Helles. I'm fairly disappointed because this brew is always crystal clear.

The only thing that has changed is I'm cooling my wort faster and my yeast is WLP029 (Kolsch). I use Irish Moss and Gelatin. It has worked brilliantly in the past but not now. I was told that the Kolsch yeast takes longer to settleout, however my first batch has been in the keg for a good month and it is still mildly cloudy. I can see objects through it but there is still a definite haze there.

It's frustrating because my latest beer is going to be overly criticized . My buddy is holding a WWE Wrestlemania party. In honour of the event, he asked me to brew a beer. Obviously a lighter one to appease everyone. The result was the appropriately named Stunner! (A wrestling move, from I think the Rock. I have no idea, we only watch this **** once a year for ****s and giggle).

Anyway my point is I was really confident that this beer would be clear by the time it's tapped at the event. Now I'm not confident at all. If it was just my closer friends I would have no problem explaining that the haze wouldn't affect taste...yadda yadda yadda... but there are a good 20 other people there, (mostly cops) who don't know a damn thing about beer. They will see this haze and instantly either go, "Oh wheat beer!" or "WTF is that ****".

So far it's sitting in the secondary with some Gelatin. It has been sitting in the fridge for 5 days. When i shine a flash light on it it looks like it's 2 different beers. The top half is clear-ish and the bottom half is still cloudy. There is a very clear, "border" if you will, between the 2 layers. That is obviously a sign of the yeast falling out of suspension but that process has seemed to stop. That border between clear and foggy hasn't moved any father down in 3 days!

So this has really turned into 2 questions now.

1. Are my Munich Helles victim of just the Kolcsh yeast or chill haze?

2. When it is time to keg my Stunner! (3 days from now) can I add more gelatin into the keg to help settle out the yeast further? or will it do nothing once I put the keg under carbonating pressures?

The 029 takes a long time to settle out. My Kolsch has been sitting in the keezer for a couple of months, and even with gelatin it still isn't crystal clear. Experience from last year tells me it will be around late April til it it crystal. That's my experience anyway.....

I've used 029 as well as Wyeast's 1007. They're some form of hybrid lager yeasts and are powdery ie. they don't flocculate. Mine was cold crashed for like a month at 44F and still wasn't completely clear. I wouldn't add more fining agents. The only thing that can help you is time. Your patience will be rewarded.

I brew a lot with 2565 Kolsch yeast and your description of two distinct layers, clear on top and cloudy below is exactly what I see with this yeast batch after a batch. It takes nearly 2 months for Kolsch yeast to settle out completelly. Secondary in this case is not such a bad idea after all. Once you start to see clear layer on a top it should settle in next 2 weeks if you keep it close to 32F or sooner if you throw some gelatin on top. Unfortunatelly there is little you can do to help it, its yeast in suspension and not a protein chill haze. Its just a nature of WLP029/Wyeast 2565 beast. Its what they do for living. I have some crystal clear Kolsch right now but it was brewed first week of January

Back