Maiden Voyage Of New Mash Tun!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacebrew

Reaction score
Allright so i spent some time and effort building a mash tun for my bro to get him into all gain. All is well, the tun worked great, flow was great, just one issue. Efficiency.

The mash tun was kept inside for a 60 minute mash, i targeted 152, and hit 153 and it was stable for a solid 60 minutes. which i found incredible, as my mash tun on my system cant even do that...

We batch sparged for simplicity. And tried to dislodge the sugars, etc, per the usual methods. However, at the end of the day ( we double brewed) we only hit 62% efficiency on both batches. On my system i routinely get 70-75% brewhouse efficiency.

I looked at the crush from the homebrew shop and i think that maybe it wasnt as fine as it could have been. However, i use the same grain and have had consistent results... So i guess the next thing would be the PH and sparge technique. We dumped the required gallons in and stirred it vigoursly, let it sit and then drained it into the kettle.

The good thing is we experienced very little water loss, and i was able to calibrate his system to my excel program. just wish it would have been at 70%, only dissapointment of the day(s).

I think this will raise up over time, possibly by adjusting pH if necessary, and maybe some other tweaks as discussed in the stickied thread.

But doesnt it really just come down to the crush of the mill?

Could there be a lot of dead space in the tun? Is there a dip tube from the drain to the bottom. That would leave a gallon plus of wort in the tun to mix with the next sparge and reduce efficiency.

Then you are back to the same old solutions:

Check for full mash conversion with iodine

Accurate volumes of sparging

Crush

proper stirring of sparges

proper temps of hydro samples

Thermometer and hydrometer accuracy

If you are confident that these are all in line, then you may need help with pH or water profile.

Back