Holy Cow I need Malty Beer Suggestions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerBanana

Reaction score
It wasn't until the fellow asking for ideas on malty beers to brew that I realized I cannot think of a "malty" beer I really like!

Now I am an Ale drinker at the most basic level. However I generally favor Stouts and assorted dark beers, and IPAs and American Pales. With the occasional barley wine.

Do "standard" Ales apply as "malty"? or would it need to be something that's a bit "thicker" Like Fuller's ESB? Which I really enjoyed. It's the only non-barley whine or "nearly barley wine" that I would definitely describe as "malty".

That fellow mentioned Old Speckled Hen, does that really count as malty? I've had it and it didn't have the same fullness as the ESB.

I find Morland's Tanner's Jack to be a fine drinkin' ale.

What kind of ales would be considered "malty"?!

I'm having a serious beer lover crisis here, if it's not hoppy is it malty? Or does the beer need to have a bit extra malt sweetness and character coming through?

I seem to naturally go for beers with strong character and flavor. Seriously, I think I need a bit of clarification.

Phew. I was thinkin there may have been certain criteria that I may have some how missed.

Crisis averted! :D

I think I'm going to have try a few samples of malt focused beers, so I've tasted both ends of the beer spectrum.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pursuit-perfect-malt-bomb-157839/

This thread was discussing making a huge malty-toasty beer. hasn't been brewed yet, but it's on the "to-brew" list.

Eff: 70%. Batch size: 5.5 Gallons. OG: 1.100

18# Marris Otter (85%)
1.5# Dark Munich (7%)
1# Amber Malt (5%)
10oz Brown Malt (3%)

2.5oz Fuggles@60 (~25 IBUs)

Nottingham, WLP037, somthing malty.

Make a strong scotch ale. They are sweet and malty. My favorite is McEwans, but I can't get that anymore. Next is Cigar City's, but that is pretty local to Tampa. Bellhaven is available everywhere.

ESB are malty without the sweet. Fullers is nice. Bass ale is also an example.

Octoberfests are well balanced malty quaffers. I like the one Sam Adams makes.

Make a strong scotch ale. They are sweet and malty. My favorite is McEwans, but I can't get that anymore. Next is Cigar City's, but that is pretty local to Tampa. Bellhaven is available everywhere.

ESB are malty without the sweet. Fullers is nice. Bass ale is also an example.

Octoberfests are well balanced malty quaffers. I like the one Sam Adams makes.

Mmm, Scotch ale!!! I loves me some Belhaven in the nitro can!!!

Back