Home Brewing Geo Cachers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearkluttz

Reaction score
Anybody here into GeoCaching? Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site Its great fun with the kids and give ya a good reason to get out and see new places even if you've lived somewhere for years. I've been doing this for a few years and have found caches from California to NC to Bahrain to Croatia and a few other choice places. If you've necer heard about it its worth looking into. But beware, its another "gadget heavy" hobby!

Wierd. I just posted on my new GPS! Sounds like a fun hobby...I might get into it....!

I've looked into it, and actually spent a day close to home doing it. I was surprised how many caches there were so close to my house. Probably something I may do a little more when my son gets a little older.

I found out about it a few years ago and am still digging it. We go in the fall and spring mostly. If you're thinking about doing it I'd say go for it. I thought it was going to be hokey at first but I'm glad I gave it a shot.

I was really into it for a while but the gas required to do interesting caches was adding up way too quickly. I ran out of local urban caches so it was spend gas money or find something else to do. I never much cared for the urban stuff anyway, I liked the harder nature ones but they're few and far between when you drive a truck. :(

I signed up but never got into it...now that I'm reminded I might just have to dust off that old Magellen and see what's out in Phoenix. Oh, it helps the temp is under 100 now... :)

we have a cache in the local area that requires climbing rope swimming and peril! I gotta go out and get it when i get skinny...

My father-in-law is obsessed over geo-caching.

Personally, I don't quite get it - you look up a cache on the net, find it, write a pseudonym down and return the cache to its hiding place, but no one who finds the cache will know who Little Johnny So-n-so from Georgia really is. Maybe it's just because the in-laws like it that ramps up my cynicism about the whole venture.

It's a great thing to do with kids. They love the "treasure hunt". Plus, you get to punch nosy muggles:mug:

muggle punching comment is for entertainment only, and is not condoned. Be kind to muggles.

I did it a little bit while I was hiking in the Swiss Alps. I was shocked at how many there were out there. Got a bit discouraged though, some of the coordinates were a bit off and with the "hints" in German...let's just say I didn't find them all! Have not done it around my own area for some reason.

found a couple here locally but am waitning for a new gps(i have a 10yr old magellan only 4 digits sucks man). same callsign on geocaching as here

My father-in-law, my wife, brother/girlfriend/girlfriend's-Dad and myself geocache... It's pretty cool when we're out walking the dogs in one of the multitude of cool spots around here and you get to check out some neat caches along the walk. Great hobby to do with others...

I have done a bit but I work with a geo cache fanatic that has his own coins. Have you heard the geo name GO Jaybee?

I used to be into it, but haven't done it in a couple years. I got bummed because I had several caches that I had hid muggled. It was disappointing.

Also I got into it for the hiking style caches. I never liked the parking lot caches. In my area that style became quite popular. Searching for a tic tac container in the middle of a shopping center parking lot isn't what I had wanted out of the hobby.

that being said, it can be a lot of fun. I have many fond memories of hiking for hours to find a few caches in the middle of nowhere. good times.

...Also I got into it for the hiking style caches. I never liked the parking lot caches. In my area that style became quite popular. Searching for a tic tac container in the middle of a shopping center parking lot isn't what I had wanted out of the hobby.

that being said, it can be a lot of fun. I have many fond memories of hiking for hours to find a few caches in the middle of nowhere. good times.
The hiking style caches are what I was interested in too. But after doing the few close to my home I ended up having to put in serious drive time. That got expensive really fast. I never saw the appeal of urban caches either. :confused:

I did it for a while. Have always wanted to set up my own cache. It'd be a puzzle cache with pretty good prizes for the first fews. Last year sort of petered out on it. COst of gas, etc. Have been thinking about getting back into it, but the wife didn't seem all that crazy about it. The kids and I love it though.

I found a geocache by accident once. a friend and I were driving from San Jose to Yosemite and near one of the roads there was a peak we stopped at and climbed up just for fun. low and behold we found a container with a few things in it and a log book. neither of us knew what geocaching was but we signed our names in the log book and left a few things behind that we had in our pockets.

Back