Normal Yeast Activity or Infection (with pic)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowToad

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've a beer that I opened this weekend to take a hydro reading and found this.

2622349430_ec86c69202_b.jpg

Does this appear to be an infection or is it normal yeast activity?

The beer had a lot of protein haze in it from where I had a problem with my filter and had to use a colander. It's been setting for two weeks as of today. I used Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast which took off within probably 30 minutes and 'boiled' the water in the airlock for 22 hours before it stopped.

It's been setting at 68-70 degrees. It doesn't taste bad, actually quite good, and my FG is right at where Beersmith says it should be but I've never seen anything like it.

The film is thick and coated the sides of the hydrometer and clumps together when I pulled it out (which you can see in the image). Any idea?

"If it tastes good then I wouldn't worry about it. RDWHAHB"

Hahah. I've actually had three or seven while waiting for an answer. I wasn't terribly worried, as if it WAS an infection, not much I can do, but its something that I was wondering about.

"Looks normal to me....just the remnants of a still slightly fermenting krauzen.... Looks completly normal... defiantly normal..."

Ya'll just made my night and verified what I was thinking. I've just never seen this kind of stuff before in my last four batches, different kind of yeasties I guess. Does this stuff sink to the bottom?

Thanks much,

"If it tastes good then I wouldn't worry about it. RDWHAHB"

Hahah. I've actually had three or seven while waiting for an answer. I wasn't terribly worried, as if it WAS an infection, not much I can do, but its something that I was wondering about.

"Looks normal to me....just the remnants of a still slightly fermenting krauzen.... Looks completly normal... defiantly normal..."

Ya'll just made my night and verified what I was thinking. I've just never seen this kind of stuff before in my last four batches, different kind of yeasties I guess. Does this stuff sink to the bottom?

Thanks much,

Yeah, and/or get dissolved back into the beer... just adds character. :tank: I have heard of those folks who try and rack to secondary fermenter at the point where the krausen still hasn't fallen back into the beer, but nobody I know does this including any of us here at HBT.

Bottom line: RDWHAHB. :mug:

Back