Completed First Brew, Successfully!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobe5217

Reaction score
:ban:

Just tasted my first home brew! Brewed NB Caribou Slobber and it turned out pretty well after 3-weeks-primary and 2-weeks-bottled. Thanks to everyone who has left comments/answers on my previous posts, it was nice to have a place to turn to.

It tastes good, there is nothing "off" in the flavor that I can tell. The first bottle seemed a little strong, but the second bottle a day later tasted much better. I am pretty pleased with myself if I must say! I was pretty worried after reading about how little things can go wrong adding different unwanted flavors.

Woo-hoo for home brewing! :rockin:

First Brew.jpg

Jobe5217 said:

Just tasted my first home brew! Brewed NB Caribou Slobber and it turned out pretty well after 3-weeks-primary and 2-weeks-bottled. Thanks to everyone who has left comments/answers on my previous posts, it was nice to have a place to turn to.

It tastes good, there is nothing "off" in the flavor that I can tell. The first bottle seemed a little strong, but the second bottle a day later tasted much better. I am pretty pleased with myself if I must say! I was pretty worried after reading about how little things can go wrong adding different unwanted flavors.

How many gals did you brew?

Jobe5217 said:

They're so cute at this age!

Just kidding, bud. Congrats on the first brew. What's next? You gotta get the pipeline filled to help with patience. (Although it sounds like you did better than average if you waited two weeks from bottling - congrats on THAT!)

Just kidding, bud. Congrats on the first brew. What's next? You gotta get the pipeline filled to help with patience. (Although it sounds like you did better than average if you waited two weeks from bottling - congrats on THAT!)

Thanks, it was a tough wait! I am thinking of brewing the Dead Ringer IPA from NB next but I have yet to order it. I had planned on doing another as soon as my primary was available but you know how that goes.

Thanks, it was a tough wait! I am thinking of brewing the Dead Ringer IPA from NB next but I have yet to order it. I had planned on doing another as soon as my primary was available but you know how that goes.

Do like the rest of us, just get another primary fermenter. Welcome to the addiction.

Do like the rest of us, just get another primary fermenter. Welcome to the addiction.

Or do even more! I now have three 6 gallon Better Bottles, one 5 gallon Better Bottle, one Bucket, and two 3 gallon water bottles. I have had up to four of them going at one time.

I also suggest getting a pipeline going. I also try a beer after 2 weeks but ALL of my beers have tasted better after 3 weeks. With more on hand it is easier to get to 3 weeks.

That's great that it turned out so well. Now I look back, my first Ipa was garbage compared to the last one I brewed up. Keep it up! What's next?

Get more fermentors. You're gonna need em!

When you first start brewing their is a moment where your like "this is legal and I can do this?" I know you've got 45 beers, but this brew should be treated like gold. Drink a little now and enjoy the victory, share a little with friends, and make sure to save some to drink in 3,4,5,6 weeks from now. Don't feel bad about buying beer, because it will make your home brew last longer. Now get started on the next batch ASAP! And buy some more fermenter's.

Congrats on having the patience to wait two weeks. I remember waiting 3 weeks on my first pale ale. 4 weeks & they were spot on. Even my wife loved it. My first turned out pretty good,my first IPA amazingly so. But after all those batches,going from AE E/SG to PB/PM BIAB,my IPA's are finally getting really good. Many people tell me it's very good. Seems like you're getting there pretty quick.

Congeatulations! It's not hard to make good beer and nobody accidentally gets poisoned or goes blind. Welcome to the hobby.

Awesome! I just tried my first 5 gallon batch a couple days ago. It was pretty good for ~10 days in the bottle. I know it will get better. I have the Caribou Slobber in primary right now. I just picked up a 6 gallon bucket to use as a secondary. I'll rack the CS in about a week and start another batch. This is a great hobby!

Congrats on your first brew! Everyone else has already said it, but I'll throw my recommendations in as well:

Buy another fermenter. I have 3 buckets and typically have 1 recipe in the mail or on the counter, 1 batch in primary or secondary, 2 batches in kegs, and at least 1 in my 16oz flip-tops.

Buy commercial stuff. Seeing something new in the local full-size cooler will give you ideas of what to brew for yourself. It'll also help you judge your own. Just because you brew your own doesn't mean you never drink someone else's ever again; it just means you can better appreciate what they've done. Local microbrews/brewpubs are also a good place to "do research".

Relax and enjoy it. Don't sweat the special language or the expensive equipment. If you enjoy it but it violates every conceivable "rule" of brewing, who cares? Anything you brew will be better than any BMC fizzy-yellow-water, so just "RDWHAHB"!

Congrats and enjoy the fruits of your labor! Just don't get cocky and blow your second brew like I did :cross:

If you are looking for a good extract IPA kit from NB, I know someone that just did cascade mountains, it came out amazing, probably one of the best extract beers i've ever tasted. He made one modification though, he substituted out 2oz of cascade for 2oz of simcoe in the dry hopping bill.

I would highly recommended to try this one out.

Welcome to the "hobby". My first beer was completely forgettable, but what do I expect from a ready-made beer kit in a box? Another +1 to another fermenter.

I just got my third 5 gallon carboy to go with my three 6 gallon and my five three gallon, I have a keg that doesn't hold pressure that I use for lagering, and two buckets.

What? I do a lot of sours and wood-aged beers. I usually have a cider going too.

Get the pipeline going as soon as you have enough bottles to have two batches in there at once. It will also stop you from trying to hurry your next batch along, and free you to experiment with aging beers. And you will probably never actually stop buying beer.

I also brewed Caribou Slobber for my first beer. That's a really tasty kit!

As if you haven't heard it enough, pick up another primary fermenter. Once you get bit by the home brew bug, you really feel it when supplies are dwindling. I'm at four right now, but just dedicated one primary and one secondary to souring, so I need to pick up a couple more myself.

Cheers to the brew!!

Well done. A good and gracious example for all of us newbies that have yet to reach that first batch.

Soon. Soon.

Awesome! I just tried my first 5 gallon batch a couple days ago. It was pretty good for ~10 days in the bottle. I know it will get better. I have the Caribou Slobber in primary right now. I just picked up a 6 gallon bucket to use as a secondary. I'll rack the CS in about a week and start another batch. This is a great hobby!

not to get too off subject but i wanted to give some advice. Try to use a 5 gallon vessel when doing secondary. You want as little head space as possible

Forget buying another fermenter (for the moment). If you have the space, look at getting a used chest freezer or fridge and get a external temperature controller. Since you have your fermenter covered up, this would be the good time to look around the local ads for a used fridge/freezer.

EDIT: Oh, and congrats on that first batch and welcome to the hobby.

not to get too off subject but i wanted to give some advice. Try to use a 5 gallon vessel when doing secondary. You want as little head space as possible

I have a very limited amount to spend on my addiction (home brewing), so I try to go on the cheap, Home De pot, has food grade 5 gallon buckets and lids; both for $5.00 as i remember. As has happened to me, after racking to my secondary, a 5 gallon bucket has plenty of room to rest. I have also gone to the bakery at Wally world, and gotten both 2 and 3-1/2 gallon covered buckets that once contained frosting, and I paid $1.00 per. Just an idea.1 dollar for a bucket, and 3 dollars for a valve, and vio'la half batch fermenters.

Yes! I'll drink to that! :mug:

If you look up now you might catch a glimpse of the sky disappearing as you descend down the rabbit hole that is homebrewing.

A good first batch? Good job. I brewed a whole lot of bad before I got good beer - happy to hear you're off to a good start.

Next stop ... A keg system!

The pipeline is real important, never run out of beer. Also, share with friends and spread the word

Congrats. I'm on my third and I STILL don't want to talk about it YET because I HAVE been getting off flavors, but who knows with this third one. Glad I found this forum because it's loaded with information like crazy. :tank:

Back