First Brew fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmartin21

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of an Amber Ale last Saturday. I added it to my glass carboy and then added the yeast. Next 48 hours had a lot of action. Enough that it foamed over the airlock and I had to put on a overflow tube into some water. Bubbling has slowed significantly and there might only be a bubble every 5-10 minutes. There is no more foam at the top and kinda looks like flat soda. Is something wrong?

It will be hot and heavy for a couple of days and then things settle down. Your blow-off tube isn't pumping out beats anymore, the yeasties are winding down. Although the party is over they still have some work to do. Give them another week to clean up the mess they have made and then they will go to sleep at the bottom. Once they have passed out, you can bottle.

:)

Sounds like a perfectly normal fermentation. Everything is fine usually can expect a very hot active fermentation at the beginning after that it will settle down quite a bit almost as if not doing anything. Dont worry though it is.

That's pretty much how all my brews have gone so far. Bubbles like crazy for a few days then down to no bubbles. If I tap the airlock gently I can coax a bubble out.

Definitely give it another week to clean things up like masskrug said. You will have a cleaner beer, it will clear up a lot more visibly, and will be overall more delicious.

Use a hydrometer before you determine ferm is complete. Bubbles show active fermentation, lack of bubbles doesn't show fermentation is done.

Thanks to all the comments. I plan on letting it go and bottle this weekend. That will be 2 weeks of fermentation. Hopefully all goes well in the bottling stage!

Back