To pay or not to pay. That is my question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I thought this would be a good conversation starter. As I am sure most of you do, I like to give some of my home brews to friends. Last time I did so, one friend really liked a paticular beer and asked for more. He offered to give me some money to cover my supplies. So what is the "right" thing to do. Just give him more or take his money. :confused:

Take the $ and buy some nice pints for everyone to use. Or even better buy some new equipment that helps the process.

If my friends offer, I won't turn it down. But I never ask. Mostly, I just ask to get honest reviews.

I've had people pay me $30 for my time, and had another friend pay for the shipping from Illinois to Nevada.

I can't say I would charge a friend, but how about inviting him over with his supplies to brew his beer with you? Maybe the hobby will bite him too!

I wouldn't charge someone, but if they offered I might ask them to buy a case or two of bottles, since I never seem to have enough empties. We're again getting into a gray area that might best be not talked about in a public forum, though.

I don't ever take money, but I do offer to make a batch for them when I have the space. They buy the ingredients, we brew it together, and I get a small portion of the finished product. I now have a good friend that I do at least one batch a month with (we split the bill/work/beer) and my sister in law also usually does about one batch every two months. It helps to fill the fridge and also the time in between my batches.....

If a friend wants me to brew a particular beer and offers to pay for it, I come up with the recipe and get them to buy the ingredients. Then they can come and brew with me and I usually get to keep a 12 or so of the finished product. I think of it as introducing someone new to the hobby. If they get bitten mildly and become a brewing partner, then we can split costs/work/beers. If they really get the bug and start brewing on their own, then I have someone I can trade beers with. But I would never charge a friend.

This may be the poor college student in ke but if a friend wants to give me money, awesome! I might want to make sure they know I don't expect/demand it, but if they want to show their appreciation in money form, you can be your ass I'm taking they money. As people have said, it'll go towards glassware, ingredients, more bottles, or the wallet fund

If the batch is for them I dont see what the problem is with them paying for the supplies just like you would have to when you buy supplies for a batch. Other than that I wouldn't charge anything extra and I'd have them help me brew it. This way the only profit your making is the experience of brewing another batch and maybe a few bottles.

A friend suggested I get a coffee can that says, "Beer costs 10 cents per pint to make. Gotta dime?" I debated it but I'm still new and my beers aren't fantastic yet. When I get better, I may do it. Friends who live next door have been coming over every night this week to drink.

you know my name now gimme my money...

"Hey, Dirtay!"

No but really, he offered and as long as you know he isn't hurting for cash, yeah take it with the same appreciation that he takes your homebrew. Invite him to brew the recipe he paid for with you and once it is ready send him home with his own 6-12 pack of it.

For a good, long time friend; I want them to pay at the LHBS when they go get my order on will-call and bring everything I need back for brew day. People think bags of grain grow on trees (I know). If a friend is asking for 10gal of wort, they have to work and pay too. IMHO
As a side note, I got a phone call from a "friend" asking if I had any brew for a art opening party? He didn't invite me to go, just my beer.

Instead of the "let's skirt legalities" why not:

1) Give your friend a list of the needed ingredients and send him to the LHBS or your favorite online vendor(s) then:

a)brew a batch for them

b)ask them to help you brew the batch, including clean-up.

c)make them brew the batch and assist as needed

d)any of the above and gift your buddy an empty Ale Pail, spray bottle of starsan, a small bung that will plug the grommet/lid for transportation and an airlock. Get the wort to their house and have them pitch the yeast in their basement. Come back in 3 weeks and help the bottle. Have a "tasting/bbq" at their home in 2-3 weeks. Offer to let them use your gear as long as they prearrange the date with you, clean it and bring a full propane tank UNTIL THEY GET THEIR OWN.

????

BTW you can also do that as a timeline... ;)

Give a friend a homebrew and you have a leech for life. Teach a friend to homebrew and get 2x's the beer selection with none of the actual work for life!

:tank:

A friend suggested I get a coffee can that says, "Beer costs 10 cents per pint to make. Gotta dime?" I debated it but I'm still new and my beers aren't fantastic yet. When I get better, I may do it. Friends who live next door have been coming over every night this week to drink.

Everyone's case is different. If your friends are coming over nightly to drink, then yes, I'd expect something in return. Its no different than going to their house everynight and drinking the beer they bought

A friend liked my6beer and wanted to pay for it in the past. I said let's brew a double batch together and then split it and the cost of ingredients. That avoids the whole "selling" issue and teaches them something.

I usually politely refuse their first offer than humbly take the money if they insist. If they verbally say "I'll pay you for this" I tell them no and that I'm just glad they are enjoying it.

I thought about it a lot and it makes little sense to take money for my homebrew. Why? Because the time, effort and expense that went into making it is more than they are probably willing to pay. Seriously, how much money would it take to make brewing beer worth my time? So, if my motivation is getting paid for beer then I worry that my motivation will soon dry up and I won't be interested in brewing anymore. It has to be something I do for other reasons and sharing adds to what I get out of the whole thing. Once you put a price on it the dynamic changes.

I host a monthly poker tournament with 20 players. Fortunately many players are LDS and don't drink (yet they do play in a monthly poker game). A few others bring their own supply of Bud Light. Several players do enjoy my beer and they don't pay me for it, but on the rare occasion they offer I only refuse the money once before I take it.

Everyone's case is different. If your friends are coming over nightly to drink, then yes, I'd expect something in return. Its no different than going to their house everynight and drinking the beer they bought

Friend showed up last night with a pitcher.."Hey, can I get some of that wheat beer?" Then just left. I guess I should start at least making them hang out when drinking the beer instead of getting it to go.

Before I started brewing, they came home every night with a 30 case of Bud Light cans and 3 guys would finish that each night. I don't drink that much so would prefer they drink at their house at least some of the time. Yeah, for sure it's probably becoming an issue.

Friend showed up last night with a pitcher.."Hey, can I get some of that wheat beer?" Then just left. I guess I should start at least making them hang out when drinking the beer instead of getting it to go.

Before I started brewing, they came home every night with a 30 case of Bud Light cans and 3 guys would finish that each night. I don't drink that much so would prefer they drink at their house at least some of the time. Yeah, for sure it's probably becoming an issue.

If they are blatantly mooching it's a different story.

Now that's just in poor taste. I would have said no. I won't ask for money for beer, but if it's offered then, like I said, I get them to buy ingredients and help out that way. On the other hand, I offer beers to people when they are visiting, but I really wouldn't entertain requests for beer if I never offered it to people.

My neighbor came home from work when I was brewing and came over to see what I was doing. After some chit chat I offered him a brew. He really liked it and got interested. Unfortuantly for him he works long hours so he asked If he bought what I needed to make another batch if I'd do it. I did and he gave me a twelver for my time. Worked out great for both of us.

If someone shows up at my house with a pitcher asking for handouts; I'd be glad to fill it up for them. Not with homebrew, but with another sterile yellowish liquid. Gives another meaning to the phrase "taking the piss" eh?

I had a buddy that asked me to make 5 gallons of a cream ale, I told him I had no issue doing it but he would have to retrofit his kegerator for Ball Locks and buy a ball lock keg and pay for all the ingredients etc.

If people are over and drinking its no different then hosting a party...If people want 5 gallons to go.....the cost of all ingredients, containers, etc, are on them.

If that ever happened I would either shut the door in their face or TELL them to pay me for it. If someone is leaving my house with my beer it is, for whatever reason, because I believe they deserve it. NOT because they believe it is cheap to make or they believe, for whatever reason, that they deserve it.

It's nice having people over for once as I live out in the middle of the woods with just a couple of neighbors. I should just start brewing only high ABV beers. Anything beyond 5% and they don't like it. My Oaked Imperial stout was thrown out by them. The wheat beer I didn't care for. I guess for now it's fine but, if daily pitchers are showing up for fills, I may rethink it.

Just to add to that..."friends" only take advantage if you let them. I don't have any friends that do this, but I certainly wouldn't just let people come over and drink up all my home brew all the time. All of the home brewers I know are proud of what they brew and generous with it as a result. I consider myself among this group. However, I do believe their is a line and it is up to you (the brewer) to draw it.....

making a whole batch for your buddy - they pay for the supplies and owe you a favor

buddy hanging at your house - free beer unless they take it for granted

buddy shows up with a pitcher takes a free fill and leaves - tell him to piss off and to not expect anymore free beer.

I agree with the comments of having them get the ingredients for you and help you brew it. Giving a few beers away to friends is one thing, but brewing a full batch of beer...not so much. I don't just give friends $30-$40...at least not until I win the lotto.

i don't associate my brewing hobby with money outside of having to pay for my equipment and ingredients. 90% of my beer has been given away since my wife and i drink no more than 1 each a night it would be crazy to stockpile all of the beer i brew.

Friend at work wanted some beers. I told him to pick a kit and pay for it. I put it in with an order for some other items I had, so no additional shipping costs for said friend. I made it, added some dry hops out of my stash, bottled it, and brought it to him at work. He paid for his beer, I brewed it on my time. I have so many bottles kicking around that it didn't make a dent in my supply.

He got 25 bombers of good beer in bottles for $50 (would have been $125 if he had bought commercial beer). I had an excuse to brew an imperial IPA. Everyone's happy.

Bottles are the gold standard in my world.

This is kind of sad, but I will bring a bunch of my beers over to a friend's house in the hope that they'll drink them and free up more bottles for my precious stockpile.

Never gotten money for homebrew, but I do trade it to my mechanic for labor :D

Also hand plenty out amd just ask that they return my 22s

If a person offers you money for homebrew, consider it a donation, instead of a sale. Thats what the medical marijuana shops in Cali do. (Sarcastic voice)

Can I move to your neighborhood?

Thanks for all the feedback. I think a fair trade is for my buddy to do the label scraping duty ;)

Back